It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inflight Internet is here - Boeing in-flight Internet gets wings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Delayed after post-September 11 airline turmoil and bumped by its original U.S. patrons, Boeing Co.'s Internet service for commercial airplanes is finally getting airborne.

The launch of Connexion by Boeing on Lufthansa this spring comes nearly two years later than originally intended, after hard times in the airline industry forced the company to jettison its original business plan.

The system also is being offered at a time people expect fast, easy and reliable Internet access nearly everywhere, from coffee shops to hotel rooms. So the stakes are high and any glitches potentially perilous, analysts say.

www.cnn.com...

Airlines can choose to offer Connexion with either wireless or wired connections; so far, Connexion spokesman Sean Griffin said all the airlines have chosen wireless because it's easier to install and doesn't weigh as much.

To get on the system, a user will need a wireless-capable laptop. Users can sign up for the system beforehand at Connexion's Web site or access a Web site in-flight to set up an account and start payment.

Boeing's service will cost from $9.95 for 30 minutes to $29.95 for full access on flights longer than six hours. At that price, analysts say, the company may interest business travelers but is unlikely to secure leisure travelers - especially those cramped in the middle seat in coach, where just opening a laptop can be difficult.

I'm excited about this, anytime something new comes about to make our lives easier and more efficient, that's a good thing, but how will this become a bad thing ?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow, what a bargain. For flights longer than six hours you can pay the equivalent of 1 1/2 months of home internet use.

I thought I'd never see the day a product matched the ludicracy of bottled imported water, but I guess that day has come.

Let me know when they start marketing sunny days and clean air.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
Wow, what a bargain. For flights longer than six hours you can pay the equivalent of 1 1/2 months of home internet use.

I thought I'd never see the day a product matched the ludicracy of bottled imported water, but I guess that day has come.

Let me know when they start marketing sunny days and clean air.

You really didn't think it was going to be cheap did you ?

What's sad is, it will be mostly business persons using this and it will get charged back to thier companies therefore affecting everyone in the company, when the usage gets out of hand and they can't provide raises or incentives because the costs of business have gone up. Not that this one thing alone will cause that, but it will contribute.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I just find myself questioning whether that price would be cost effective for anyone.

I'm sure it would be great for those corporate 'emergencies' but other than that, the cost outweighs the usefulness.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
much like in plane phones, i see this going nowhere. i was wondering, are they using the same technology with the on board internet as they are with onboard cable?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has flown recently and tried the "in flight internet" ?

I was wondering about the speed of it and if there were interruptions in service, etc ?

top topics

join