It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have theory about bose einstein condensate looking for help on expanding it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I recently read an article about a new sonar technology that can scan large swaths of ocean and track fish in large numbers.

news.mongabay.com...

The interesting thing about this article was when it mentioned how when the fish get to a certain density they acted in unison.

Studying Atlantic herring near Boston, the MIT scientists found that when the fish gathering reached a certain density it caused a sudden synchronization of movement, where upon hundreds of millions of individuals began to act as though they were one. Such massive groupings can extend for 25 miles (40 kilometers) over the ocean.

Ok vid showing school of fish, sure there are better ones out there, (couldnt find planet earth or blue planet one with dolphins)

Nothing new hear in that schools of fish have always been known to act in unison as if they are one. But it was the mention of how it would transpire once they reached a certain density that caught my eye.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is very much like how atoms (bosons in particular) act in unison when they are at a very low energy state. Best shown and explained in this video.

So Mr Kleppner shows us how atoms/bosons start acting as if they are one. They lose individuality and start thinking they are everywhere at once. To me this is very similar to a school of fish.

Knowing the witty-ness of nature and the universe as a whole, perhaps we can find the secret of BoseEinstein condensate and how they behave as a unit by studying schools of fish.

I realize this would not answer how they lose all friction or other quirks of this state of matter but might help answer one aspect of the condensate.

From my brief research into schools of fish it seems that they employ a few tricks to make it happen.

findarticles.com...

TRICKS OF THE TRADE How do the fish move like that without swimming right smack into each other? One way they do it is by being copycats. Each fish watches its neighbors and copies every move they make - quickly! Meanwhile, the neighbors are copying their neighbors, and so on. So the whole school makes the same moves, and there aren't any crashes. Besides using their eyes to help them school, fish also use something called lateral (LAT-ur-ul) lines. These are sensitive places along the fish's sides where they can feel their neighbors' movements in the water. Then the fish make the same movements. Schooling fish may also tell each other which way to move. Of course, a fish can't shout, "Turn left!" But some kinds of fish can talk to each other with clicks or other signals.

My thinking is that even though Physicists say the Bosons act instantaneously that it only seems that way to our meager measuring devices, though I am sure it is very fast (ftl?).

What is everyone's thoughts on this hypothesis? Anyone have more info on how fish maneuver in unison?

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Desolate Cancer, what a name. How in the world did you come up with a name like that?

So what is your theory Desolate Cancer? I've seen stuff like this all the time in my lifetime, and here is an example of what us people out in the farm belt see all the time.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

From what i gather , the movement of each individual bird is influenced by its immediate neighbour,a very fast process .... yes, but reactionary all the same.

No omnipresent bird with an identity crisis .

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
what fish do is called schooling, birds do it to.
each animal follows and reacts to the the one next to it.

We have a couple of mid size buildings (20-30 stories), that have large flocks of starlingss living in the antennae.
When they come to roost at dusk it is an amazing site, to watch the random ebb and flow of the flock.

sorry but the connection between schooling fish and bose-einstien condensates is not there.

B-E condensate is a super cooled gas. So cold that the individual atoms have no movement.

top topics

join