It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco per bulk pound - April 1st going up by $24.78 in Fed taxes - info on purchasing before the 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Tax Increase Effective April 1st, 2009!

SCHIP Cigarette And Tobacco Tax Rates

Product Cigarette and Tobacco Tax Rates on April 1st
Cigarettes $1.0066 per pack
Large Cigars 52.75% of manufacturers price; cap of 40.26 cents per cigar
Little Cigars $1.0066 per pack
Pipe Tobacco $2.8311 per pound
Chewing Tobacco 50.33 cents per pound
Snuff $1.51 per pound
RYO $24.78 per pound
Cigarette Paper 3.15 cents per 50 papers
Cigarette Tubes 6.30 cents per 50 tubes

The above is just the fed taxes, some states are also increasing taxes on them.

In knowing this and being a smoker myself, I have placed a large order of bulk tobacco - the cheapest place I found on the internet is:

lilbrown.com...

Right now, you can buy a pound of tobacco at $7.98 per pound, come the 1st of april it will be $33 per pound!!

So, I called them today, they include a box of tubes with every pound bought.

I purchased 40 pounds!

It tees me off that the feds are raising taxes as they are on tobacco products.

A carton of cigs will be in the $50's most likely compared to $30 - 40 right now.

so I thought I would throw that info out, for who ever needed it.

Rolling your own tobacco RYO - is much cheaper, as I am now finding out.

I am getting the hang of it, besides there are youtube vids to instruct you on how to do it.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by questioningall]

[edit on 27-3-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yeah, it pisses me off too! Star and Flag.

Sad part about this is: This is only the beginning of the tax hikes.

Ammo is being taxed.
Carbon Emissions (total bull #)
Normal food prices going up too!

You know what I'm gonna go do right after this post. Go enjoy my pre tax hike cigs in the backyard.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am with you on this one sister! I went to pick up a cheap carton the other day and in ONE month it went up from 25.00 to 38.00!!! I was shocked, I said "well Ill go to the smoke shop" I got to the smoke shop and it was the same price! I am growing my own non GM tobacco this year, I have the seeds and it makes a beautiful plant, I am growing two kinds one for chew and one for smoking, that way when the bottom drops out I can get workers.

Thanks for the link, I sux at rolling Ill have to get one of those rolling machines, but what kinds of paper can we use to roll when you cant get that anymore? I wonder if you could get bolts of say rice paper or something non toxic to smoke it in?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Hey, two things, I got tobacco seeds also, I have put them into containers to sprout, nothing yet.

But the tobacco right now at the one site linked gives you tubes with every purchase, but I also purchased at another site at $1.55 per box of 200 - 65 boxes.... so gave me free shipping.

I have also begun smoking a pipe. LOL

Cool tobacco's for that, pipe tobacco is not going up as extreme as cig. tobacco.

Also when I say, I have RESEARCHED all the sites for the best, etc......... I have!!

so purchase the bulk tobacco today or Monday, but do it BEFORE April 1st..... some places cigs might even up in the 90's in places like N.Y. or Alaska.

I have now figured right now, with the bulk tobacco I just purchased, I am paying about 5 to 6 dollars a carton!!!

WOW - wished I would have known about it years ago............... imagine the money I would have already saved, by doing it that way, instead of paying in the 30's per carton.

We won't even discuss how much I smoke either...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I do this, it used to cost $10.00 per carton to roll my own ciggys.

With this new tax in place that price is going to go up.

Dang taxes! I guess we have to fund these bailouts one way or another right?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

It used to be tobacco firms had among the most powerful lobbies in Washington DC, rivaled only by the NRA and NEA (guns and teachers, nice mix!). The Supreme Court has been their only friend by reducing some of the huge judgments awarded some of those former smokers.

I remember my parents used to get coupons when they smoked. We collected two cookie jars (and those jars were BIG!) of coupons by the year. They would get something for them, and we could get something for each of us kids. Do the cigarette companies do that anymore? My parents smoked at least three packs a day back then.

As long as tobacco is a whipping boy, the governments (fed, state, and local) will tax it.

top topics

join