It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toshiba to release Brainwave video game controller.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Neurosky Mindste @ gizmodo

Neurosky Homepage

From Giizmodo: San Jose, California (March 26, 2009) – Toshiba, Inc., a leading manufacturer of personal computer (PC) equipment, and NeuroSky, Inc., a Brain-Computer-Interface (BCI) technology company, today announced the launch of a jointly-developed brainwave-based advance headset that operates with most PC products.

The MindSet™ wireless Bluetooth® headset features brainwave-reading and mental-state-translational technology from NeuroSky, Inc., a Silicon Valley company. With earlier NeuroSky partner announcements in the toy (Uncle Milton Force Trainer™, under a Lucas Licensing deal) and video gaming industries (Square Enix Judecca™), the Toshiba-NeuroSky product launch represents the first BCI peripheral directed to mainstream PC users.

"The joint development effort between Toshiba and NeuroSky is a historic step into fusing brainwave-enabled peripherals into the mass market of computer users," stated Hitoshi Tokuda, General Manager of the PC Options Marketing Division at Toshiba.

Stanley Yang, CEO of NeuroSky, considers this announcement a key milestone for both companies. "This Toshiba and NeuroSky partnership is an exciting step towards revolutionizing the way people interact with computers." ....

....Both consumers and developers will be offered further incentives with this summer's launch of the NeuroSky Application Store, a portal of downloadable, third-party applications created by the NeuroSky Developer Network.
Begin harnessing the power of your mind with the NeuroSky MindSet headset. This Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) turns your thoughts into actions, unlocking new worlds of interactivity. By measuring your brain waves, the headset can send messages to your computer-allowing you to control the computer with your thoughts. The NeuroSky MindSet can be paired with video games, research devices or a number of other tools for an enhanced user experience.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So now they're releasing a device to the general public, that will allow you to control a computer directly with your mind... I wonder when they will develop a way to control your mind with a computer...

Oh they can do that, you say?

I guess it's only a matter of time before these headsets work both ways then, huh.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wow, thats kind of scary. I'm sure they probly know how to control our brain waves, I just hope that they dont. Nice find

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
In a word, creepy. And nice to see that they launch this as a means of controlling video games, those warm and fuzzy slaughter-fests!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

wrong, OCZ was first to do this.

www.ocztechnology.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I've seen this sort of technology,there was a man who was paralyzed..he could move a mouse cursor on a computer, click etc just from thinking about it. This sort of technology is great for games but i'd be more interested in how it could help people who are physically disabled among other things.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

It could be mounted on electro-mechanical prosthetics utilizing the persons brainwaves for motion.

I think this may be a major breakthrough for people with severe physical handicaps.

top topics

join