It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama = Emperor Nero or King George VI?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A lot of concern has been cast Obama's way lately because of his casual way of dealing with matters of state. Also the Wed. night cocktail parties. There are different ways of looking at what he's doing.

We are familiar with Emperor Nero. Legend has it(and this is just a myth) that he played the lyre as Rome burned. This basically means that he couldn't care less.

On the other end of the spectrum we have King George VI(and family) that refused to be bowed by hardship. The royal family didn't seek shelter during the Battle of Britain:

Three years later, he was leading the country through the Second World War. His steadfastness won him the hearts of the people, most notably when he and his wife and Queen, Elizabeth (who became the Queen Mother on his death), insisted on sharing the dangers of the Battle of Britain with the people of London.

news.bbc.co.uk...

When bombs landed on the grounds of Buckingham Palace, the Queen famously declared: "I'm glad we have been bombed. Now I can look the East End in the face".

en.wikipedia.org...

This was a show of solidarity with the people to give them hope in a hard time.

So how do you see it? Everything is perception. Is Obama callously ignoring the people or could he be putting it on for Americans to attempt to vie off despair?

[edit on 22-3-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Actually I think he is more like the Emporer with no clothes.
He keeps doing things that make no sense yet the people continue to flatter him because they don't have the heart nor the nerve to tell him he is screwing up.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Honestly, Intrepid, I think he just doesn't have a clue what he's doing. The Dems brought him off the bench at least 10 years sooner than they should have. He needed far more exposure and experience in all forms of domestic and international politics. He's not ready for primetime. I think he's clearly in over his head and unfortunately for him, the media sharks are starting to sense it, too.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
He keeps doing things that make no sense yet the people continue to flatter him because they don't have the heart nor the nerve to tell him he is screwing up.

Exactly he is a coward and wouldnt do anything if something was to happen to the United States. Why? Because he is one of these that image matter most to him. He doesn't want to end up being disliked. The Amerikan people are so pacifist these days that even if an event like 9-11 was to occur they would not want to retaliate. Therefore Obama would not retaliate to protect his image. Meanwhile the whole world would laugh at us as we continue to take on our defeatist attitude and not bat an eye. Basically what I am saying is

AMERICA = PU55YFIED

You can thank the liberals for giving us that image. It started in Somalia with Clinton and has continued ever since. I want to see the US back to its Cold War/WW2 era status of being a country that would do whatever it takes and not hesitate to defend itself led by a noble honest leader like FDR or Lincoln. Not a defeatist minded nation led by someone who sends a video to its enemy explaining how much of a panzy they are, or someone who starts a war over nothing but a hunch and a grudge...

[edit on 09/20/2008 by ki11ma11]

[edit on 09/20/2008 by ki11ma11]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Which is ironic considering the amount of scrutiny he's had regarding what he's actually worn since he took office: "ZOMFG!!! He's wearing a red tie! That meanz he's a secret Communist Muzlim Terrrorister!!1"

As for the OP, he's more George VI than Nero, but he's more Obama than George VI too. I'm sure he'll handle things his way and forge his own path (as best as he's allowed).

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
A lot of concern has been cast Obama's way lately because of his casual way of dealing with matters of state. Also the Wed. night cocktail parties. There are different ways of looking at what he's doing.

We are familiar with Emperor Nero. Legend has it(and this is just a myth) that he played the lyre as Rome burned. This basically means that he couldn't care less.

On the other end of the spectrum we have King George VI(and family) that refused to be bowed by hardship. The royal family didn't seek shelter during the Battle of Britain:

As an American I am insulted that our President is being compared to such vulgar positions of "kings" and "emperors". These positions are antithetical to everything America stands for.

I think a better example would be to compare him to past Presidents like Truman, FD Roosevelt, JFK, Lincoln etc. Foreign elected Leaders also would be good comparisons.

I personally think he is part FDR and part JFK even though he really wants to be remembered like Lincoln. People criticize his humor and his nonchalance but I think it is just his personality. George Bush struggled to communicate and projected an "folksy" persona but Obama is more cosmopolitan and verbose. In time people will get used to it.

As to his effectiveness, I think we have to give him at least a year to truly see what he has done but there are a biased few who would railroad him now because of their internal biases but to the fair, he has just started and he is a welcome change from the dark days of the Bush administration.

My only problems with him is his immature foreign diplomacy. Even Hillary Clinton seems to be readily subscribing his naive philosophy. My only fear is that he is not confident enough to leverage America's might and showing strength. That was something Bush was very good at, almost to a point of being obscene.

new topics

top topics

join