It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army cutting back on forced extended tours of duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
washingtontimes.com...

Army cutting back on forced extended tours of duty

WASHINGTON – The Army this summer will start cutting back on use of the unpopular practice of holding troops beyond their enlistment dates and hopes to almost completely eliminate it in two years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: OOps forgot the link, if any mod could insert the link in the "source" link on the main page of this forum I will aprecciate it.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
washingtontimes.com...
This is a long time overdue change that needs to be made. Right now is just unfair what they are doing to many of the people specially in the Army and Marines.

It should be that when you finish your contract that should be it. The DOD hold us to our contract and punish military personnel that refuse to finish their commitment but they don't hold to the end of the deal. Thats just wrong.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
First off, you forgot the link. We know how that goes.

Second, this is sounding alright by me as partially good news for me and my fellow military men and women.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Thanks for the heads up!

What do you mean as "partially" good?

Thanks for serving, Im military too, Air Force here.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well, I'm thinking from a manpower levels perspective. This means though that we're at risk for another war that people would make a fuss over like Iraq or invading some other country people would scream to get out of. Since more manpower is available from Iraq we can hopefully keep more at home for what is needed.
Who knows, maybe we are benefiting from the Iraq war if we end up actually dealing with the Mexico problem since a lot of the tactics would be the same and whatnot. Using half the veteran forces from Iraq would mean we could get the problem mopped up quickly.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

I dont think that for any of the scenarios you mention the "stop-loss" clause should be factored in. There is plenty of resources available in the Total Force spectrum that could be called in to fill those spots of people that complete their enlistment.

But the DoD should never make a military person to serve against their will once their commitment is fufilled. Is just bad policy overall IMHO.

new topics

top topics

join