It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act gets boost from 9/11 hearings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
www.csmonitor.com...

The Controversial law called "The Patriot Act" faces a renewal vote this year. Bush calls it a 'needed tool' in helping to catch suspected terrorists. What some people dont know is that IF this law gets passed it will be the end of their constitutional freedoms.

To abandon the passing of the Patriot Act would "demonstrate willful blindness to a continuing threat," Bush said.

Some 71 percent of Americans disapprove of a feature in the law that allows agents to delay telling people that their homes have been secretly searched, according to a Feb. 16-17 USA Today poll.

In anticipation of such concerns, Congress wrote sunsets into the new law of some of the most controversial sections. These include: powers to conduct searches without notifying subjects, roving wiretaps (of an individual's home phone and cellphone, for instance), a "supersubpoena" that puts a gag order on anyone who receives it, and wiretapping procedures that bypass Fourth Amendment standards for searches.

Judiciary Committee spokesman said Friday that the vote is not expected until 2005.

Scary law huh???

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Did anyone hear Bush's speech on this today?
He called for "renewing the Patriot Act and making it permanant."
CNN Link

Lots of stress on keeping/strengthening administrative subpoenas issued without a judge's or grand jury's approval. I don't think many people are too high on that idea, most notably the ACLU.

Good post, TSA.

-B.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Supposedly, Kerry is against the act.

If Kerry gets elected, what would he do? Continue it or change it?

Im still wondering about the elections. have many states gone in opposition to those shifty Diebold voting machines, or is Bush gonna win another election?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Supposedly, Kerry is against the act.
If Kerry gets elected, what would he do? Continue it or change it?

Heh.
If he's so against the Patriot Act, why did he vote "yea" on it?
Patriot Act Roll Call Vote

-B.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
the original idea was making it easier to track down criminals...after 9/11 many people think it is justified, but it was mainly to try to deal with a current terror "threat" at the time, and I don't think it ever was or will be needed, unless people enjoy having rights taken away. One thing I can assure you is, the patriot act will only burden most people, where as terrorists will always find a way no matter what, if they are determined. This will just lead to more rights being stolen from us down the road

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Did anyone hear Bush's speech on this today?
He called for "renewing the Patriot Act and making it permanant."
CNN Link

Lots of stress on keeping/strengthening administrative subpoenas issued without a judge's or grand jury's approval. I don't think many people are too high on that idea, most notably the ACLU.

Good post, TSA.

-B.

whooot!!! i finally have a "good" post in B's eyes whooooot!!!

anyway i am against this act and if people like having no rights vote 4 bush!!!

that should be his slogan LOL...

top topics

join