It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does my IP tell 'them'?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
every thing ... you see you think the word Dynamic means it changes... well .. it can .. but guess what ... it doesnt ... except - rarely ... due to equipment swap outs etc.... so its your telephone number .... and remember your computer is always on.... even when turned off....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Alright let me set this straight... Primary YES you can trace someone's location with an IP... Any ISP are given specific IP range per locations.. Its not extremely accurate but it gives you an idea of the location... Secondary IF they have your true WAN IP which is the IP your connecting to the internet with... It takes nothing more than 5 minutes to get your name, address, phone number... Just by calling the proper number at the ISP and giving your COP ID number... its been used alot by hackers in the past cuz they would give fake ID numbers and could steal infos easily... not its more watched and now that easy to do...

Secondary it is possible to use encryption, or bounce off other IP out there using proxies or chains HOWEVER there's no perfect UNTRACEABLE ways to get on to the internet thats IMPOSSIBLE to be traced back... you can make it very hard but its do-able... SSL has been cracked already... TOR is nice but just for the records make your homework it was developed by the NAVY
... Also anyone acting as a TOR exit node will be able to sniff your data because TOR does not encrypt data on the last node therefore... ur sensitive material could be sniffed extremely easily...

No matter if your behind 300 proxy there's ways you can bring the remote machine to leak information's that will provide sufficient info to make your machine traceable or ways to force it to connect directly to get they're true identity... Take as an example MSN people believe they can hide behind MSN server's however if you send them a file then its P2P connection so you can get they're IP through your PC's routing tables or netstat....

Finally there's ways you can get on the net that would make it very difficult for you to be traced which involves various tricks of the trade amongst hackers and security professionals in which im not willing to provide here for various reasons...

Remember the more you try to hide the more they'll pay you attention and as the old chiness saying goes.... Its the nail that stick out that gets hammered...

[edit on 19-5-2009 by _R4t_]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about your IP address getting traced. I guess some people would get freaked out if what happened to me happened to others. For instance, I clicked on a web site the other day. The following day or so I got a phone call. This is company "xyz", we noticed you clicked on our website and were wondering if you might be interested in buying product "abc"? I gave an excuse. This happened to me at work. My boss was wondering how they could track something down to my phone number within the company just because I clicked on their web site. This was years after a similar episode when I clicked on a advertisement and went to a web site from my home pc. As far as searching "whatismyisp" web site, I wouldn't mind if that was bit more accurate. I keep seeing ads for some place in eastern NC but I live hundreds of miles away.

<< 1   >>

join