It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Americans still falling for the two party fraud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The American political system has been debated for many years now, while even its very structure shows obvious flaws. The idea of dividing a nation into individual groups, each its own principles and methods, and declaring only one contestant permissible to seek it's objectives, is foolish in its very concept. To not devise a system that assures all possibly beneficial ideas are applied, regardless of party, is crippling to our advancement. We don't have Republican issues and Democratic ones, we have American issues only. There's no Liberal priorities and Conservative needs, only American ones. We are one nation with only a single list of concerns. Debates should be held to prioritize that list? We are selling ourselves short to divide that list and hold contest on which of our needs to leave out.

Further, we are now adding new divisions to our priorities. First was the Third Party, and now the Green and Libertarian Party? Does this serve one nations needs? The answer to that is obvious and the only ones who fail to understand this are the very people being represented on the list itself. Those that enter the contests know this very well. That is why time and again they work from a different list all together! Theirs is an agenda very different than the one we eagerly split and argued over during the contests. Their list has none of the priorities from any of our divided list? They already have us agreeing to leave out things from our one list by dividing it five ways and only choose one? Is one fifth of our list still too much to ask?

Apparently it is because every election may be different, but every term won results in the same old discussion later. The campaign is all about what portion of our needs they will focus on pursuing if elected, but once elected, our list is ignored? Something always comes out of nowhere to create a crisis that trumps our original agenda. Conveniently, turns our partial list of priorities on its head giving our hopes a back seat position yet again. Over and over and over and over......

We fall for this every single time and, while we sit there being ignored, in stead of our newly elected hopefuls working things off our list, they create pages of new issues to add to it. When will we learn that there is only one list in all their sights? There isn't five parties, but only one? Our list is only there in theory. A tool for us to fight about and debate while they meticulously exercise their agenda. The agenda that was drawn up long before they came forward to discuss ours. The next chapter in our nation that has nothing to do with our progression, but usually only the opposite. We are being suckered out of a life we should be living, but will never even know. When will we understand this? How much abuse will it take to make the majority see the blinding truth?

If we are so naive that we can't even see the injustice created by our divided party political system, we will forever be abused by someone. This has gone on for many generations and may soon be worse than ever before? Maybe that's exactly what needs to happen to wake this country up? Hitting the absolute bottom may end up the worst and best thing for this country? All I know is it can't go on like this.

Please, everyone that reads this, think long and hard about the Democrat and Republican system. Ask others to think of it also? Has it ever been different? How many times have you griped about the person you voted for being useless? How many times have you heard others say the same? Over and over and over....never changes and never been different! Please share any thoughts you have on how to stop this. Thanks for listening!

Peace.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

It is interesting to note that most of the other world nations have multiparty systems and they have to form coalitions to get things done. Multiple parties allow the more fringe sides to get a say, and offer much more choice than our two party system.

I am not a social conservative, so the Republican Party is not always the choice for me. I am also not a classic liberal, so the Democratic Party is also not the choice. I have moderate views on many issues, yet there is no party to speak to me. The primaries are made for the core party constituents, and that leaves most of the other people out.

Unfortunately, the third party candidates could not even muster a combined one percent of the vote this election. If the people who choose to not vote would go out and vote for a third party candidate, then they would get some respect.

Excellent analogy, and starred and flagged.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Thanks for the input! You and I are similar in our perspectives. In fact we are most likely part of the majority represented most by Third Party candidates that are unable to achieve any ground in a mostly two party system? That very fact explains my point well! The most substantial part of our listed needs are falling into this third party and failing to obtain any traction whatsoever.

I'm not trying to condone the elimination of party systems all together, but more a reformed system that ensures our needs are met more seriously. Hopefully others will provide more evidence that the significant points of view held by ourselves are more popular than what's represented in the not so popular Third Party?

Peace.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

The sad fact is about half the voting population isn't registered to vote, and the ones that are, do not observe that right. I think it is partly peoples fault for not doing their research. Everyone wants a short soundbite for the answer to a complex problem. When a candidate actually starts talking about the problem and a real solution, the channel gets turned.

When was the last time you heard a candidate state they would raise taxes? Walter Mondale stated that because of the huge deficits the country was facing back in the 1980s. He lost big time, and most candidates do not mention taxes during their campaigns, just on how they will cut them.

Ross Perot was a straight talker, but he was quite a social liberal (His candidate for vice president stated in a debate that a woman had the right to choose, end of discussion. I liked that honesty, and he did not answer any more questions on that subject). I don't think many people looked at his policies, as they liked it that he stated the country was in a mess. Unfortunately, he did not have any solutions to the problems. He was asked many times, and he would immediately state the media was biased against him. I then realized he was just like the Democrats and Republicans, and he would say anything to get a vote.

If there is a third party candidate we like, we have to get people who do not normally vote to register and vote for the candidate. It takes work, but eventually it can happen.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

The question then is why are more people not voting? Maybe they don't vote due to my point in the original post? They know their vote is irrelevant, so why bother. That being true, how do you substantially change that opinion?

I agree with you about certain political positions are campaign suicide. It's a shame that positions on issues like abortion, or gay marriage can outweigh ones so much more vital. I believe things of this nature should be left to the individual states to decide. Intertwining them with federal policy obviously causes an overshadowing effect that is crippling Third Party candidates. Being an honest politician is dangerous ground in a non thinking society! Combine that with the fact that these races are even more influenced by the amount of money collected and you start to see why there are so many problems? I am all for a cap on campaign contributions. There should also be limits on where they can come from? A candidate that emphasizes priorities that directly benefit the top ten on the Forbes list should not gain such advantage from it? That's a crime in itself!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Most people do not care, or have tremendous apathy toward all politicians. I think they were surprised when the young actually voted in higher numbers last November. One of the highest voting populations are conservative older white people. They vote in droves, so many politician tune their message for them.

How do we get people to vote? How do we get the interest up? Almost everyone has a pet interest, and the way to get them interested is through those interests.

Although I am not a one issue voter, many people are. That is one way to start the interest, and hopefully they will broaden their horizons to other positions. Abortion is very important to the Fundamentalist Christian, and they will not vote for a pro-choice candidate. The Republican Party does not want to scare away that core constituent, so they will never take the pro-life plank out of the platform. (This is why Mitt Romney will have trouble if he runs, he was quite pro-choice as governor of Massachusetts, and the pro-life people do not believe he has had a change of heart.)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You both make great points. I believe many do not vote because they are convinced that nothing will change anyway. We need a real choice. Democrats and Republicans are two peas in a pod. We need a third party to emerge, but people are more interested in american idol than where their tax money is going. While I am personally opposed to abortion(I consider it murder pure and simple), I also do not believe that it is the business of the federal government to make a law about it one way or the other. The states should handle it. Same with gay "marriage". Honestly, those issues are between the individuals and their god. Even though I oppose it, it is really not my business. Neither of those have anything to do with running the country at a national level.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the good read.

My dream for the future is that we dont vote on party and politician but on issues by Internet-Click vote. We dont need all this partisan bickering and smearing of the other side, we need to fix issues.

new topics

top topics

join