It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Those Doomsayers About Earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ever heard of the Pacific Ring of Fire?

Ever noticed that almost all the Earthquakes we worry about are in the Pacific Ring of Fire?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b150bf9b2e8.gif[/atsimg]

All I can say is there's nothing out of the ordinary with those earthquakes. These seismic events are quite common, more so today because there are more seismologist stations, and the equipment they use has undergone a huge improvement. So thats why we appear to see more these day than in the past.

Now back to the ring of fire

Consider the below external quote:

The Ring of Fire has 452 volcanoes and is home to over 75% of the world's active and dormant volcanoes. It is sometimes called the circum-Pacific belt or the circum-Pacific seismic belt. 90% of the world's earthquakes and 80% of the world's largest earthquakes occur along the Ring of Fire.

So no wonder we have frequent earth tremors in Indonesia, and, no wonder there is frequent rumbling from volcano's and no wonder yellowstone is always an interesting place for seismologists to investigate.

So:

Stop with the Doomsday Scenarios

The small, frequent earth tremors in the Indonesia region, that we have been seeing lately have been nothing unusual either

The motion of the fault generates numerous small earthquakes, at multiple times a day, most of which are too small to be felt

All the earthquakes, tremors and volcanic activity are caused by tectonic activity in part of the earths crust, called the lithosphere. The plates sit on the upper mantle, and drift, causing the plates to grind, collide,diverge and subjugate, hence causing the tectonic activity

In the ring of fire

The Ring of Fire is a direct result and consequence of plate tectonics and the movement and collisions of crustal plates.

So before we get all antsy and start thinking that the large number of earthquakes is unusual and pointing towards an impending dooom, consider where the earthquake or eruption has occured.

Another point to consider, when talking about numerous quakes, is the earth quake swarm, which is defined as a series of earthquakes (not aftershocks), that occur in one area over a short period of time. The difference between these an aftershocks, is that there is no main earthquake, they are not a pre cursor to a large shock (yellowstone is a great example) even though they may occur in an active area.

Yet another point is an event called an earthquake storm, which is a series of small earthquakes in a small cluster. These occur along major fault lines usually after a major quake and can happen (and continue)monthas and even years after the main event.

What some people do not realise, is that

Source for image

www.worldatlas.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Good thread, for those who don't know about the pacific ring of fire. Some also don't know that large quakes have "aftershocks" and not "more quakes occuring".

I agree they may seem to have increased because the data collecting has become more efficient.

I do think though that we pay more attention and are interested in learning if we live in these zones, and especially if we are right in an area where historically we're "overdue" for a major quake because stress is building, and/or in a subduction zone. I, as well as millions of others live right on top of one of these red dots, and in the overdue area and where soil liquification would be catastrophic, as well as living in the projected radius of yellowstone park supervolcano and other active volcanoes. Not be dramatic, but my God I picked a bad spot to live in! It's also a beautiful region, so I'm appreciative of that.

So what needs to be understood is being in one of these areas, every now and then our local newspapers likes to publish doomsday scenarios, whereupon we're told to expect a mag 9 and possible tsumami (as has been documented in the past before the population explosion). It will happen, just when is unknown. School children get earthquake drills, we have to decide if we want to purchase earthquake insurance, we pay extra taxes for our bridges and buildings to be upgraded - so it's all these reminders being told to us, not that we go around worrying about it like paranoia cases. That wouldn't be very productive, but at the same time we can't be saying "it's not gonna happen to me (us)".

EDIT to add. Look at all the carrying on (it seemed) when a man came on CNN predicting what could happen if New Orleans was hit with a hurricane, he was called a doomsday nutter, and he ended up being right, unfortunately.

The Indonesian quake caused Tsunami was the worst disaster in our modern day record keeping, again just unthinkable preceeding the event.

We learn from other disasters, and that's important.
The only time I get paranoid is when we drive under one of those concrete parking structures that barely accomodates the height of the vehicle, and I flash back to images of the SF quake were these types of stuctures pancaked the victims, and I just think please not a quake right now. It's why we're currently upgrading our structures, because we learned from the mis-fortune of others.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
It will happen, just when is unknown. School children get earthquake drills, we have to decide if we want to purchase earthquake insurance, we pay extra taxes for our bridges and buildings to be upgraded - so it's all these reminders being told to us, not that we go around worrying about it like paranoia cases. That wouldn't be very productive, but at the same time we can't be saying "it's not gonna happen to me (us)".

[edit on 11-3-2009 by violet]

Yep it certainly is uknown

Some seismologists say small quakes are a good sign, as pressure against plates is relieved gradually. But with that in mind, we shouldnt become complacent just in case a large event does occur (but not overly, otherwise it becomes scaremongering)

[edit on 11/3/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

San Andreas twitching with quakes that could affect O.C.

Seismologists are monitoring a swarm of small earthquakes that are occurring on the southern San Andreas fault, a seismic zone capable of causing the proverbial “Big One,” which might inflict widespread death and destruction in Orange County. In a rare an unusual statement, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography says, “A swarm of earthquakes is trembling through Southern California near the Salton Sea (the southern end of the fault). Over 40 small earthquakes, ranging from magnitude 1 to magnitude 3, shook the region over the weekend and continue today.

sciencedude.freedomblogging.com...

new topics

top topics

join