It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube blocks UK users from watching music videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

YouTube blocks UK users from watching music videos

www.businessweek.com

Google Inc. said Monday it will block U.K. users from watching music videos on its popular video-sharing site YouTube after negotiations with Britain's music royalty-collecting body broke down.

Google said it would begin blocking British users starting Monday night. The Internet titan said it knew the move would cause "significant disappointment."

But it said its hand was forced by PRS for Music, which it said is asking for royalties that would cause Google to lose money every time a video was played on YouTube.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I myself don't care about this as my television service has free music video viewings apart of their package. Though I would like to hear other peoples view on this.

I find it sad for people who watched music videos religliously on YT though since its the only other way is through the TV service or illegal downloading

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by diamount

Cant this be bypassed by using an anonymous browser that masks as another ip address.

For example www.hidemyass.com...

I have not tried this but it should work?

Maybe a user with more experience can add?

[edit on 10-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, though it would be very slow.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by diamount

If I like music I rip it from the place using realplayer so I have all my videos in a folder and play on random. Saves having to click and load etc.

At least it will still work, with a little patience then.

Thought it was worth pointing out in case other users do not know this and like youtube.

Edit: I just tried it out and the videos load just as fast (6mb connection) using the anon browser i mentioned above, you get a few pop up adds but only the once and you can rip them using realplayer just the same. Worth mentioning.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, there is "ip changers" available. Just Google IP Changer . You can even have US ip's with ease. So, the UK problem would be solved. I do not know of a free IP changer though. But the price is fairly reasonable.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

That's great news, guess it depends on the proxy and whether or not there are quite a few people on it.

Anyway: www.proxy.org is a great site for proxies and stick to the ones highlited in green, they're generally the best ones

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

i tried your link, and i have a 16mb connection. Speed is the same for download...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Cool.

Looks like there might be no need to worry about listening to videos on youtube if you are from the UK after all.

Surely google will know that things such as this are possible with relative ease?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
yeah, but what can they do about it? lol
I think people who have experience on the web will never have problems just as hackers are always one step ahead of everyone trying to limit access to...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I assume they think the majority of people who use YT don't know about proxies/IP changers.

[edit on 06/21/2008 by diamount]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Might be the case, hopefully it will stay that way and not be noticed on a large scale.

It is unfair to start banning certain countries from certain websites etc. Looks like a tip toe towards censorship regardless of contractual laws etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I find it interesting that there's no debate about the problems of business models when they're stretched across digital media and international boundaries or the problems of ethics when art meets business. Practically all of this thread is about proxies to bypass YouTube.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well, i have no moral problems here. Ethics is good for some but for others, it isn't. Ethics was created by business in the first place...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I use youtube for listening to music all the time...would only take 5 mins to setup an ip proxy though..still not a wise move,ALOT of people are going to be up in arms i think..i hope youtube dies a painful death though and another video site takes its place,too big for its own boots..especially when nazi fascists google took over.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I find it interesting that there's no debate about the problems of business models when they're stretched across digital media and international boundaries or the problems of ethics when art meets business. Practically all of this thread is about proxies to bypass YouTube.

i would like to add, that business, in general, have no ethics. It's part of their hidden laws...

new topics

top topics

join