It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WAtchmen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
so i have read the comic. and i just went and saw the movie.

All through out the comic and movie all i was kept thinking was NWO
i mean you have pyramids, Nuclear war, secrets on mars, corporations taking over,
secret development of free energy, Egyptian pharos . and in the comic alien attack (sorta)

i dont wanna ruin the movie/comic for anyone but just be sure think about these things and read between then line when watching.

also the movie takes place in 1985......at the end of the movie peopel are driving hybrid cars (toyota prius) in 1985 lol just goes to show you.

Edit: To fix an oops.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah it was a good movie, nice 2 hours and 40 odd minutes of escape from the pace of the real world.

I wonder if Alan Moore knew of the NWO in 1986?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by killartofu

Absolute amazing movie... and the (graphic) novel was awesome too.(and better)
There are a few "conspiracy/NWO" things in it i guess, but i just thought it kicked ass... seriously, was everything the DK wasn't and every "family friendly" comic book film should have been....instead of selling out for the sake of a profit.. Comic books and graphic novels were always brutal and violent and were so much darker than many of these films that have come out...
I'm glad The Watchmen didn't turn away (too much) from the book...especially in the violence and darkness department.

Brutal, violent, Thought provoking, sexy, dark...close-to-the-bone and had many "out there" things throughout the film.
It was long and slow in places and i think people that enjoyed Spiderman and other nicey nicey comic book films may not like this... but it really is a great movie and definitely worth the runtime and definitely worth seeing in the cinema.
Thoroughly enjoyable kick-ass film!!!

[edit on 7/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
To be honest I didn't like the movie all too much, visually speaking it was absolutely stunning, but if you compare it to the book, the characters on screen don't seem to have as much life as they do in the comic.

I felt like they made 1985 into 2012 instead...I guess I was watching it from a film critics perspective and not a conspiracy one, although now that I think about it, there was a lot going on that should have set off my tinfoil hat alarm.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
off topic post? oh noes!

I enjoyed the movie alot, although my butt didnt after siting for 3 hours. UGH

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments. I'll be seeing this one also.

I hope it is better than "The Spirit". I worked for Frank on that one but it still was not up to his usual standard of excellence like "300"

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I heard the movie was terrible, which sucks because the graphic novel by Frank Miller was amazing.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I only became aware of this graphic novel a year ago, and read it last summer. It was great to find a masterpiece like this that I had not yet read. I loved the book, and I loved the movie. I thought the movie did a great job with material that had to be extremely difficult to translate to the big screen. I think the actors did a great job in portraying the complex characters, and the movies pacing was excellent, not too fast, not too slow. Maybe the music score could have been better. I even thought the movies twist on the ending was a good turn, adding a little surprise for the mass majority of the audience who have already read the book, and know the ending.

This story works on so many levels, and makes so many deep observations on the era in which it takes place, it still has considerable impact, even though the cold war that lays behind the stories premise is over. The nature of man remains the same, and the graphic novel and movie lay these bare bones truths out, without sugar coating them like so many movies loved by the critics and celebrated by the PTB in Hollywood.

Clearly this movie offers an alternative perspective on humanity that mainstream media would rather ignore. It also seems to imply that the PTB do not have their act together as much as so many would like to believe.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I enjoyed it!

But I do have some things to criticize.

First of all the changes they made to some scenes were not necassary, in fact these changes made it worse, if they had kept to how it was in the comic, it would have been more dramatic and effective. Maybe they did this because of the issue of time?

The other thing, some of the soundtracks were CRAP!!! They did not match this movie at all! It really spoiled the atmosphere. There were some I liked, like the soundtrack you hear in the trailer.

Other than that I enjoyed it. I even liked the ending.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The Watchmen takes over the box office, but it seems that the mainstream media was hoping that it would fail. All I saw was negative publicity leading up to the opening weekend. Of course, this is a story that mainstream media has been trying to ignore for decades now. Clearly real art is something the mainstream care nothing for.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The GF and I saw "The Watchmen" last week and I enjoyed the imagery, some of the characters, the CGI etc. but the story/script seemed choppy, disjointed and very hollow in places.

Perhaps if I had been a fan and reader of the graphic novel, I could have know what was going on a little better. But the movie didn't inspire me to
run out to B&N and get a copy of the literature and delve into the background of the Watchmen. I just don't care.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by calvin.and.hobbes
I heard the movie was terrible, which sucks because the graphic novel by Frank Miller was amazing.

You heard wrong on two counts.

Count 1.

the movie is actually really good.
Not a short 90 min Fantastic 4 crap fest....but a dark and complex story which takes some thought and time to appreciate.

Count 2.

It was Alan Moore who wrote the Watchmen.

Miller did Sin city, DK et al.

[edit on 13/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I agree with everything whaaa said. I was grossly disappointed in this movie and I didn't even stay til the end I was so bored.
I felt like I should have brought a violin along to see this one! WHERE was the action ?

I don't see how you can mess this storyline up. it hade so much potential

Maybe I needed to read the book before going but I thought the fact that I hadn't would help me appreciate it more. Guess I was wrong and I doubt I'll be buying the book to find out.

edited because I removed bits that might spoil it for those have yet to see it

[edit on 16-3-2009 by ImJaded]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

but the story/script seemed choppy, disjointed and very hollow in places.

So was the comic...(though I've only gone about halfway through it).

I'm going to finally see it tonight, just been busy, and I'm expecting it to be visually stunning, and hopefully well done. It seems they're doing a great job in bringing the imagery from the comic to the screen, just from what I've read and seen.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yea the imagery is great and the small pieces of action are good too but i left dissapointed.I couldnt give a toss about any of the characters and i lost all interest in the story and figuring out the plot about halfway through.It just kind of rambles on for three hours and by the time you get to the climax your over it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
While the plot "twist" was unravelled early on, it was an interesting idea, and the film seemed to follow the graphic novel well...

Visually, the fim was absolutely beautiful, and had a good "feel" to it, just well done.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Very overrated comic, the villain and his motive is very anticlimactic. I didn't really see any reason for him to kill the heroes. That act alone tipped of Rorschach.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It is all about symbolism. Each of the heroes represents an aspect of the U.S. psychy. The Comedian is murdered because, although he is supposed to be a good guy, he is really a bad guy, but at the same time he represents a part of the U.S. character that makes us successful, and gets things done. The question that is never resolved, that much of the story evolves around, is, was the Comedians death justified. Was the Comedian a bad guy who deserved to die. That is the story inside the story. Mr Manhattan, with his amazing powers, even more powerful than Superman, represents U.S. technological superiority, especially in weapons, and it's cold indifference to the human endeavor.

The attack in New York City certainly has a bit of prophetic, or destiny about it, considering 9-11.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I thought it was amazing. Rorshack was so madsnake!

The one thing that annoyed me was that Dr. Manhattan was almost perpetually naked. That was hardly necessary.

top topics

join