It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012, The Next Ice Age?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I've just finished writing a research paper on global warming for a college course I am taking. During my research, it crossed my mind that the Mayan's may have been able to predict the next Ice Age.

What I never realized is that we're currently IN an Ice Age. All of recorded humanity has actually occurred within what is called an interglacial period. The current interglacial period is known as the Holocene and is somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 years old.

"Approximately every 100,000 years Earth's climate warms up temporarily. These warm periods, called interglacial periods, appear to last approximately 15,000 to 20,000 years before regressing back to a cold ice age climate. At year 18,000 and counting our current interglacial vacation from the Ice Age is much nearer its end than its beginning."
Link

According to the EPA:
"Abrupt or rapid climate changes tend to frequently accompany transitions between glacial and interglacial periods (and vice versa). For example, a significant part of the Northern Hemisphere (particularly around Greenland) may have experienced warming ratesof 14-28ºF over several decades during and after the most recent ice age"

According to the SSRC:
"There can no longer be any doubt that the Sun has entered an historic period of dramatically reduced activity which will bring us many long years of deep cold weather. This was predicted by me and a few other scientists around the globe but of course we were not taken seriously because of the politics of global warming and the refusal of many media outlets to print or telecast alternatives to the now discredited man made global warming concept. According to national and international sources that monitor the Sun, what is happening on and in the Sun is nothing short of record setting, astounding, and at the same time worrisome. The solar wind is at its lowest level in fifty years. The surface movement on the Sun has slowed to record rates and according to NASA’s previous announcements is ‘off the bottom of the charts.’ "
SSRC Report On Global Cooling

W.I.S.E. Colloquium Report On Global Cooling

Is it possible that the Earth is about to plunge into a full blown, 100,000 year long Ice Age? Are we in a rinse and repeat cycle? Has this all been done before? Could 100,000 years of being buried under thousands of feet of ice have erased all traces of prior advanced civilizations? Were the Mayans somehow able to predict this down to an exact date? Is it possible they were descendant from a group of people who survived through an Ice Age?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yes, this is an interesting and acute topic.
Still, not much to do about it, is there?

Ice Ages come very rapidly.
Excavations and research tell that it is about 10 years between first snowfall and full-out Ice Age.
That means a 3000 meter thick layer in inland ice, people!

Sitting in Scandinavia, that would mean we are pretty screwed if we don't move away from here...

"Enviromental Refugees", remember that word. It is a phenomenon we are gonna see a lot more of in the near future.

The Mayan's say that "The Light Shall Come From the North" and that Scandinavia is "the Crown of the World-Tree".
It first thought that meant that we were going to be spared.
Now, I have a different view on things.

As I dream of the "Fimbul Winter" everytime we have snowfall, I think I will stay up here for as long as possible. Just to see how much we can take.
But it only takes a few days of consecutive snowfall for us to be totally immobilized...
Think about a week of blizzard...or a month...or 10 years...

I ain't gonna get any kids before I see where this is headed.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tdavis0096

Some good info you got there but,
Most civilizations that have predicted then end of the world in 2012 have predicted it to be by fire, and NASA have predicted massive solar flares for late 2012, the strongest ever recorded apparently.
So if the world was going into an ice age maybe the flares would counteract it.
I dont know but its just a theory

Jacob

join