It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Global Warming protest is met with severe winter weather!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Dr. James Hansen is seen urging Americans to "take a stand on global warming" during the March 2 protest at the Capitol Power Plant in Southeast Washington, D.C.

www.weather.com... ational&from=national

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 2 PM EST MONDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 2 PM EST MONDAY FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA... AND AREAS OF MARYLAND AND NORTHERN VIRGINIA EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE.

Note to Global Warming whackos: To be more effective with your propaganda attempts, it would be wise to schedule such protests in the SUMMER!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
On the positive side.... turbulent weather would be OK for green-energy such as wind driven generators & wind turbines

whereas the global warm-ists are all about Solar Power...
which is of no utility during these extended winter storms-
which by all rights should now be only distant memories by now,
and as the melted arctic ice caps have not yet caused global sea levels to flood coastlines yet

Al Gore & his crowd need to line up for bailout money,
so they too can be prosecuted with the rest of them when the Ax starts falling

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Global warming states that we will have more freak weather occurences.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i wish we had some global warming right now. im sick of winter, and i miss socal

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It's just too hard to find evidence of global warming( Or what I mean to say is that there is so much contradictory evidence and arguments that it's hard for the average layman to make his way thru the muck) and scientists on both sides always seem to have agendas. Where is the unbiased research? Just the facts? What we should be focusing on is certain issues within the over all global warming debate one at a time.

Such as:

Why are certain glaciers and ice shelves melting or dissapearing? Should be be alarmed? What are the implications? Instead it comes down to pro or con global warming and nothing gets done.

It also stands to reason that some of the things we are told will stop global warming are good to do for other reasons. Seems that a lot of the time we rail against renewable energy because we don't believe in global warming but ..take global warming out of the equation and renewable energy is good for other reasons. One important one is curbing our dependance on foreign oil, reducing pollution, creating new jobs and creating new technologies (for instance solar power that generates power for spacecraft and mars landers to name just two).

Nothing but good can come out of reducing our carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emmisions. I mean what's coming down the line? more fuel efficient cars? That's not a bad thing.

I realize that there is a lot more that is involved in this debate. but why not find some common ground here and focus on some real solutions?

[edit on 1-3-2009 by amazing]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Global Warming Does Mean The Worlds Getting Hotter.
But Global Warming Is A Sub-Category Of Climate Change, Meaning That Freaky Weather Trends Are Being Displayed. So.. The Fact They Were Going To Protest Against Global Warming And Were Met With The Winter Weather Is Ironic But That's Climate Change, Not Global Warming.

I Hope That Makes More Sense Than I think It Does..

-TRS

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Skepticism_Reality
So.. The Fact They Were Going To Protest Against Global Warming And Were Met With The Winter Weather Is Ironic

It's not just ironic....it's freaking hilarious! They couldn't wait until July or August?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

So saith Ale Gore

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I actually find it most disturbing that a High Ranking Public Official within a Taxpayer funded Agency is promoting the breaking of laws, and common civil decency. This is definitely a violation of the HATCH ACT, no matter what anyone says on the matter. Jim Hansen should not only be arrested if he takes part in this charade, but he should also be relieved of his Job. This is outrageous at best, and disturbingly reminiscent of what can happen when Public Officials resort to a Mob Mentality.

This truly reminds one of Hitler 70 years ago, and even though I am not comparing Hansen to such a monstrosity in terms of intent, I do draw comparison between the possible and very real dangers of High Ranking Officials encouraging cult like behavior.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hasn't anyone seen The Day After Tomorrow? There's a global warming meeting at the beginning of the film in India that is met with a snow storm.

(Note: I'm in no way implying that what happens in The Day After Tomorrow will happen in real life, it was just funny to have seen that happen in the movie and then read about it really happening)

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I had to post this on here. LOL, we ended up with between 4 Inches of Snow all over the District (Washington, D.C.), and up to 7+ Inches only a few miles away.

Check out the Protestors standing in the snow, wearing tightly wrapped Parkas, with Hoods Pulled, and Scarves, Gloves, Face Masks, etc.:

And look at the Wonderful Snowfall:

Like Neil Cavuto said to the Greenpeace Spokesman today: "As a Marketing Tip, couldn't you at least have picked a Warmer Month to stage your protest?"

[edit on 3-2-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Timing really is everything eh?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Dr. James Hansen should talk to other NASA researchers that say global warming /climate change is caused by the sun.

alexansary.com...

but then again he has his agenda that makes him a lot of money.
but he should quit using NASA to push his agenda.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Oh, man this is just silly.

I think most people have no clue regarding what global warming is and how the alleged condition relates to the world. Certainly FOX news and Drudge are clueless...although I suspect they are just feigning ignorance to spread an inaccurate position to gullible people that can't wait to foolishly throw snowballs at someone that believes in the phenomenon.

Let me state this right here and now and PLEASE listen:

Global Warming does NOT NOT NOT mean we will never have a cold day, floods, snowfall, or a sever snowstorm. Quite the opposite. We will have more of them in the form of freakish weather patterns.

Please research the position before you crash it.

I am not even fully convinced by the notion but I know that much.

These far right "proof" points are not helping to discredit the idea, but rather show the ignorance of a certain segment of the population.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Again, I'm not sold on the idea but I know what it means.
Here are some articles to help you get a better understanding of climate change.

Don't let the name fool you:

Understanding climate change

Global warming is shorthand for "climate change," and the term is correct if you realize that it's referring to the average temperature of the Earth over years and decades; not to the temperatures at particular times and places.

"Climate change" is a much better term because much more than warming is involved, although the changes first begin with the globe's average warming. This average warming can cause changes in patterns of rainfall. It can lead to more snow piling up in places such as Antarctica and Greenland, and it can even include some parts of the Earth growing colder.
USA Today

My bolds.
Here is another point:

Snow is consistent with global warming, say scientists

Britain may be in the grip of the coldest winter for 30 years and grappling with up to a foot of snow in some places but the extreme weather is entirely consistent with global warming, claim scientists.

(snip)

"Even though this is quite a cold winter by recent standards it is still perfectly consistent with predictions for global warming," said Dr Myles Allen, head of the Climate Dynamics group at Department of Physics, University of Oxford.

"If it wasn't for global warming this cold snap would happen much more regularly. What is interesting is that we are now surprised by this kind of weather. I doubt we would have been in the 1950s because it was much more common.

"As for snowfall that could actually increase in the short term because of global warming. We have all heard the expression 'too cold to snow' and we have always expected precipitation to increase.

(snip)

Dave Britton, a meteorologist and climate scientist at the Met Office, said: "Even with global warming you cannot rule out we will have a cold winter every so often. It sometimes rains in the Sahara but it is still a desert."

telegraph.uk

Another important fact from the Telegragh.uk article to SERIOUSLY remember and understand:

Scientists point out that the people must distinguish between climate and weather. Weather is what happens in the short term whereas climate is the long term trend.

We will have snow. Places will get colder.
That does not disprove the idea of global warming.

Please try again.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Please research the position before you crash it.

we did our research and we believe these researchers

We are not claiming that global warming does not exist just that as these NASA researchers say that it is NOT CAUSED BY MAN.
alexansary.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ah two good points to start a conversation with I think.

1. That in a global warming/climate change model/prediction--(Meaning hotter in the long term) there will be increased snow, cold weather patterns etc. The real question is: Is the earth actually warming? Are the average temperatures getting warmer? 2 simple questions.

2. If the earth is warming--Is any of it man made? Or is a percentage of it manmade and what percentage could reasonably be attributed to it? 2 more simple questions.

3. Another question would be that if we reduce our carbon footprint and reduce greenhouse emissions how much effect will that have on smog, pollution or other issues not directly related to global warming/climate change.

4. Is a question of semantics. The earth is always changing. Thus since the beginning of time there has always been climate change. The term climate change really has no relevant meaning? Or does it? The term global warming is the real issue isn't it? Is the earth actually getting warmer? Then lets stop being retarded and use the term global warming. If it isn't actually getting warmer then....Let's not use any of those terms and attack other issues such as pollution and renewable energy.

thoughts?

top topics

join