It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Disconnects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
So, been using Vista for about six months now, and I don't hate it completely.
No, not completely, there are one, two features I like.

I'm getting random internet disconnects on it, though.
Not a clue why, diagnosing the connection tells me it cannot access DNS sever.
I've ran Malwarebytes, made sure AVG is up to date, and reset the winsock and TCP/IP stacks. Flushed DNS, and even reinstalled the drivers for my NIC. Checked with the ISP, it's not something they can detect.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Do you or a friend have another computer that can be hooked up to your internet connection?? (to tell if problem is your computer or your internet connection).

I have found through personal experience that resetting a internet modem can resolve this kind of issue.

You, of course, will first write down all the settings, then reset the unit.

Most have a small pin hole that you put a paperclip into to reset.

You can know for sure by googling your modem's brand,model number + how to reset.

Let me know how this goes and feel free to u2u me with more details and I will respond in between clients.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I had a similar problem with my connection as well (embarq dsl). It turned out that the modem wasn't renewing it's IP as it should. They replaced the modem and haven't had the issue since.

Apparently they made some changes to their network/system which resulted in some of the older modems having this problem.

$.02

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
A different computer hooked up to the connection sems to work fine, left it for a few hours, it kept it's connection.

One thing I've found is the only way to resolve the issue is to reboot the computer.

I've rebooted my modem and router (not a wireless) and I still have the problem.
I think it's computer specific.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Based on what you found, it seems the issue may be your computer.

Do you have a "Nic" card?(Nic= Network Interface Card)
I mean a separate card or is it "On Board"? (On Board=built into the motherboard)

May I suggest you try another Nic card, or install one if it's on the motherboard.

NOTE: If you go from a "On Board" Nic card to a separate card, you will need to shut of the On Board Nic. This is done through the "bios".

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

It's a laptop, so yes it is built in.
I'm going to get a Ethernet usb adapter and see if the problem persists if I use it.
Other than that, try downloading the drivers and then reinstalling them.

top topics

join