It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USO Research

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+72 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2ac14cf6da2.jpg[/atsimg]

Unidentified Submerged Objects or Underwater-UFOs or UFOs leaving water or entering water are an underreported phenomenon. The purpose of this thread is to collect and discuss and research the the History and Mystery of USOs.

For starters, I will sift through this comprehensive list of more than a thousand sightings and collect the most noteworthy. The criteria for noteworthy? A verifiable source. Give me a few weeks to sift through the list. If you want to help cherry picking the best cases that would be much appreciated!

1076-1946

1947-1959

1960-1965

1966 - 1972

1973 - 1979

1980 - 1999

2000 - 2009

Undated

If there is anyone who should know more about this phenomenon then its the Office of Naval Intelligence.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8bcde23a8a5f.jpg[/atsimg]

If anyone here has experience with filing FOIA-Requests you can help out by sending such a request to ONI. That too would be much appreciated.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Of the 1000+ accounts and reports that exist I think I should be able to find about 200 that are noteworthy. I will post post many of them in the course of the next weeks for research and discussion. I think the accounts from times way before we knew anything of UFOs are some of the most interesting.

From sifting through the very first 10 accounts of that list here is the most interesting:

In 1492 Christopher Columbus reported flickering lights at night hovering above the ocean in the Bahamas area and made note of it in his journal.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
1845 backed by official sources such as the Malta Times and The British Association for the Advancement of Science. Excerpt:

At this moment three luminous bodies issued from the sea, about half a mile from the vessel, and remained visible for ten minutes

1850 Canada

a “large spheroidal mass” that was seen floating by the crew of the Advance in Wellington Channel

1861 North Atlantic

Three luminous bodies issue from the sea during a squall. In view 10 minutes.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Lake Erie 1867

What makes this case credible is that it was witnessed by many over the years. Excerpts:

No motion, however, in any direction was to be discovered, and at once concluded that it was nothing more than the "mysterious light,” which for many years past, at longer or shorter intervals, has been seen by the inhabitants at this point on the lake shore.

The object appeared to be some 200 or more feet in length upon the water and about as high above the water as an upper cabin steamer, such as was in use upon the lake twenty years ago

1870 Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society

Excerpt:

That, whatever it may have been, it traveled against the wind. "It came up obliquely against the wind, and finally settled down right in the wind's eye."

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

That's a fantastic picture SF! I've always found USO's interesting and I do believe in their existence. When my father was young (1950's), his boss came into work one morning white as a sheet. He used to travel to work along a coastal road called the Nepean Hwy. As he was traveling down Olivers Hill in Frankston, he peered out into Port Phillip Bay and saw a classic saucer shaped object breach the surface and fly directly up into the atmosphere and out of sight.

My dads boss eventually became a very respected business man in Australia and as far as I know, has never publicly revealed his sighting. He's dead now so it appears he took that secret to his grave.

Each time I pass that particular part of road, I can't help but look out into the bay and try to imagine exactly what it was he saw. It kind of haunts my father in the same way too. My dads boss was an honorable man that could be taken at his word, unlike so many today.

In respect to the image in the OP, I can also see that as a giant cuttle fish. Who knows what lurks down there that uses Bioluminescence. I'm sure there are many organisms from the deep that would simply astound us!

IRM

[edit on 25/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What do people generally think about these?

Are they coming from space, and living right in our ocean to avoid us detecting them? Have they always been living underneath the water?

I must say I haven't even thought about USO's until this thread. The thing is, to me, it's just a plausible as UFOs. In fact, it makes almost more sense than UFOs. We as humans still cannot truly reach the bottom of the ocean. Who's to say the aliens can't?

Maybe Atlantis was never above water, maybe it's always been an underwater city - for the visitors.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

It's a good topic with a lot of incidents to sift through. If we did have intelligent UFOs, what better place to remain out of the way? In Australia in the 90s there was a series of sightings involving UFOs apparently drawing water on board. Police and respectable residents provide similar descriptions of size, sounds, colors etc. I'll add a link later...

Also Karl12 recently posted a thread on the same subject here. Another very good site can be found at Water UFOs.

There's the persuasive Shag Harbor Incident found at Canada Mufon. It's got the makings of a damn good movie. Even finishes with one UFO rescuing the other from 'behind enemy lines' in a sense.

edit for poor English

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
As he was traveling down Olivers Hill in Frankston, he peered out into Port Phillip Bay and saw a classic saucer shaped object breach the surface and fly directly up into the atmosphere and out of sight.

Me too. Hence this thread. My one and only USO Sighting happened on the Fiji Islands in 2001. There is not much to say about it except that I was walking along a beach when a silver disc rapidly and diagonally descended out of nowhere and splashed into the water. I just stood there frozen for a few minutes, unsure of what I had seen, also checking if something might have fallen down from a plane, but there was no plane. The disc was about the size of a car and shiny silver. The beach was empty and nobody else seemed to have seen it so I did not tell anyone.

Originally posted by shifty
I must say I haven't even thought about USO's until this thread.

Thats why I am making this thread and sifting through that massive list.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It’s a shame that USO cases have virtually been ignored as a subject. And I was astounded that there are so many! Thank you Skyfloating, for bring these to our attention.

I’ve always found USOs to be fascinating, and, for some reason that I still can’t quite fathom (excuse the pun), a far more comprehensible phenomena. Perhaps there’s something about the sheer logic of alien/transdimensional/time-travelling craft secreting themselves under the oceans that just smacks of credibility. Where else to build your HQ other than in an almost completely inaccessible region of the planet you are exploring?

Here’s one that includes strange beings (checked your listings and this doesn’t seem to be on it):

In the summer of 1982, Mark Shteynberg, along with Lt. Colonel Gennady Zverev, were conducting periodic training of the reconnaissance divers ("frogmen") of the Turkestan and Central Asian military regions. The training exercises had been taking place at the Issik Kul Lake, a deep water lake in the Transiliysk Ala Tau area.

Quite unexpectedly the officers were paid a visit by a very important official, Major-General V. Demyanko, commander of the Military Diver Service of the Engineer Forces of the Ministry of Defense, USSR. He arrived to inform the local officers of an extraordinary event the had occurred during similar training exercises in the Trans-Baikal and West Siberian military regions. There, during their military training dives, the frogmen had encountered mysterious underwater swimmers, very human-like, but huge in size (almost three meters in height!)

The swimmers were clad in tight-fitting silvery suits, despite icy-cold water temperatures. At the depth of fifty meters, these "swimmers" had neither scuba diving equipment ("aqualungs"), nor any other equipment, only sphere-like helmets concealing their heads.

www.ufoinfo.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
1875 Nature Magazine.

Excerpt:

he had seen a series of swift lines of light. He had dipped up some of the water, finding in it animalcule, which would, however, not account for phenomena of geometric formation and high velocity.

1879 Persian Gulf, by a Hydographer of the British Navy

noticed luminous waves or pulsations in the water, moving at great speed. This time we have a definite datum upon origin somewhere below the surface. It is said that these waves of light passed under the Vulture. "On looking toward the east, the appearance was that of a revolving wheel with a center on that bearing, and whose spokes were illuminated, and, looking toward the west, a similar wheel appeared to be revolving, but in the opposite direction."

1885 from an Astronomy Magazine, Witnessed by Many

Excerpt:

...an elongated object giving off a strong luminosity. It seemed to float in the air and its apparent disk was four or five times larger than the full moon. It traveled slowly and cast light on the whole camp behind the station with a brightness about ten times greater than a large electric bulb. In the morning of November 2, at dawn, a very luminous flame, first bluish, then greenish, and moving at a height of five to six meters, made a series of turns around the ferryboat pier at Scutari. Its blinding luminosity lighted the street and flooded the inside of the houses with light. The meteor was visible for one minute and a half and finally fell into the sea. No noise was heard when the immersion took place.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Reply to Beamish:

No doubt the oceans depths are the best places to hide secrets.

Thanks for the add. I appreciate any help I can get sifting through the material.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Note: The Water-UFO Website disappeared for awhile there.

1887 New Zealand Herald

Another multiple witness event reported by a credible source.

Excerpts:

a large ball of fire was seen to rush past the vessel at about a cable's length off and dash into the water. The light from the ball, which was about the size of a coal basket, was of such brilliancy as to completely dazzle those on the schooner, and it was not till some time afterwards that they could recover their sight sufficiently to see their way.

1887 Science Magazine

Excerpt:

large ball of fire appeared to rise out of the sea to a height of about fifty feet and come right against the wind close up to the ship. It then altered its course and ran along with the ship to a distance of about one and one-half miles. In about two minutes it again altered its course and went away to the south-east against the wind. It lasted, in all, not over five minutes. Have noticed the same phenomenon before off Cape Race, and it seemed to indicate that an easterly or south-easterly gale was coming on

1888 St. Louis Post

Multiple Witnesses.

Excerpts:

a peculiar light is seen at the foot of the island. It has the appearance of a huge ball of fire and is about the size and shape of an ordinary barrel.

Suddenly the whole point of the island was illumined (sic) as a bright red object rose apparently from the water and glided up into the air. Ascending probably to a height of forty yards, the watchers saw the lurid ball fade away.

A peculiar light illumined (sic) the boat and the waters around it, making the craft and its mysterious occupant perfectly discernible to the party on the shore, who stood paralyzed with fear, unable to speak or move, their eyes riveted by some mysterious influence they could not resist on the spectral object before them.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
1892 San Diego

and made a most terrific swoop down on to the surface of the water in the lagoon and spread out all over the surface, covering it with a most brilliant halo of light. It only remained there a moment when it rose again and formed itself in several fantastic shapes in quick succession, and traveling with the rapidity of lightning almost, first in one direction and then another, changing its course by abrupt angles. These peculiar antics kept up for fifteen minutes at least, and it finally disappeared away inland.

1893 event referenced by official sources

I found this part to be the most interesting:

The vessel's compass was visibly affected, and the needle fluctuated without regard to the cardinal points.

1910, The Indianapolis Star

Excerpt:

MISSING HEAVENLY BODY STRIKING SEA NEAR VESSEL, DEMAGNETIZES INSTRUMENTS AND SETS CREW A-TREMBLING

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
1910 The Danish Meteorological Institute

Capt. Breyer of the Dutch steamer Valentijn was in the South China Sea, midnight, Aug. 12, 1910, he saw a rotation of flashes. "It looked like a horizontal wheel, turning rapidly." This time it is said that the appearance was above water. "The phenomenon was observed by the captain, the first and second mates, and the first engineer, and upon all of them it made a somewhat uncomfortable

1913 London Times

Excerpt:

The object descended and headed toward the ship, making an audible whirring sound. Within 5 minutes it was directly overhead just above the masthead, the searchlight now dazzling. The trawler was illuminated from stem to stern so brightly that “the men assert that it was possible to read by it." Two body lights were visible on the aft of the object about 5 or 6 feet apart. Fearing a collision, the captain blew the whistle and swung the vessel around to the west. The unidentified craft then circled the ship twice, keeping its searchlight focused on the ship the whole time. Then it climbed and departed toward the west.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
1931, Ireland

A Mr. Collins was aboard his yacht when he saw a strange "aero-plane" like object approaching from the sea. It suddenly ditched into the water near the shore. Collins then approached the craft, which was now apparently at the shore. He saw three occupants apparently working on the object. Two were tall, heavy set, blond haired and light complexioned. Thinking they were or (sic - of) German origin, he asked if they needed any help in German. One of the men responded in French, claiming he could not understand, and then, in no uncertain terms, told the witness to leave the area. Collins quickly left and did not see the craft depart.

1927, one of Italys must investigated USO Sightings

One morning, while a 12 year old girl was going to fetch drinking water at the river Po, she saw a shiny and round object come from the sky. It later crashed in the water seven meters away from her. After a couple of minutes, the witness noticed a big bubble in the water and later the object resurfaced and flew away disappearing in the sky.

1929 Saucer-Disc

I picked this because I found it interesting that a flying saucer would be seen pre-1946.

about a sponge diver in his home town of Tarpon Springs, Florida. It seems that an old Greek sponge diver back in 1929 was underwater doing his sponging in his old-type sponge diver’s suit and helmet, and as he looked up from what he was doing, he saw a saucer-shaped silver disk fly by him under water with lights on it, and then it flew by him again, this time in the other direction

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
star and flag for you!

at least i hit a star shaped button...i know i hit the flag (neewwwbers sry)

thank you for taking the initiative! this is one of the topics i was surprised not to see in my few weeks surfing around ats.

uso's are great because of the sheer volume of reports (of which i am sure you are currently well aware) and because so freakin many of them are official!!

and for some reason i feel like someone who dismisses the idea of ufos may be more inclined to rationally consider usos.

just wanted to sing ur praise sky, ur posts are always great and this is no exception

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
When we are on the earth's surface, we cannot comprehend the amount of water that is totally there on the earth. However, take a look at any image of the earth taken from outer space, and you will be able to appreciate truly the amount of water that is present on the earth's surface. The bluish color that you see covering the earth in these images is due to the presence of large amounts of water on the earth. In fact, the earth's surface is covered mostly with water, with land areas forming a very small percentage. The amount of water covering the earth's surface is a staggering 70 percent, with the remaining 30 percent being covered by land.

Just think how many UFO, USOs could be moving in and out of the oceans at any given time unkown to us land dewellers .

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hi Skyfloating, great thread of a very important but for many a bit unknown part of the Ufo phenomenon.
strrd and flggd.
So it’s good to bring it under the attention.
It shows us that those crafts are not only capable of travelling in our skys but also in our rivers, lakes and oceans.
I hope you didn’t mind that I posted this one, I started reading the list of 1076-1946 and continued where you where stopped so far.

03-??-1945
One of the most detailed cases.

The most detailed of these cases involved a large UFO seen in 1945 by crew members of the U.S. Army Transport Delarof which had been hauling munitions and supplies to Alaska.
The ship, heading back to Seattle, was in the open sea past Adak. It was about sunset, and Crawford was on the port side near the radio room when he heard shouts from some of the crew.

He turned and saw a large, round object which had just emerged from the sea.
(Several crewmen saw the UFO actually appear from underwater, an estimated mile or so from the Delarof.)

All the observers were convinced it was a large object. Comparing it with the width of a finger held out at arm's length, Crawford estimated the UFO to be 150 to 250 feet in diameter.
At Seattle, 14 crewmen signed a summary of the sighting.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
1934 Norway

Excerpt:

they heard a whistling sound, like air being released from an air compressor. A moment later the object ascended 9-18 feet above the water and took off with an enormous speed, without any sign of acceleration. At last the object had a deep blue color as it disappeared over Oslofjorden. As soon as it disappeared, the witnesses (4) investigated the area and discovered a craterlike depression in the snow about 4.5 feet in diameter and about 3 feet deep. Outside this the snow had melted1 to a diameter of 54 feet.

1943 Persian Gulf

Im adding this one because it is representative of a number of similar reports.

1943: Persian Gulf—Seaman Matthew Mangle, from the bow of his ship, sighted a huge disc beneath the surface of the water. The object, glowing with a soft, greenish light, paced the ship at about 12 knots before speeding up and moving out of sight.

1945, U.S. Military, Multiple Witnesses, Detailed Report

Excerpt:

he heard shouts from some of the crew. He turned and saw a large, round object which had just emerged from the sea. (Several crewmen saw the UFO actually appear from underwater, an estimated mile or so from the Delarof.) The unknown craft, showing darkly against the setting sun, climbed almost straight up for a few moments, then it arced into level flight, and began to circle the ship. All the observers were convinced it was a large object.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The subject of USO's was what first got me interested in UFO's and the like. My mother first told me about her encounter with a USO when I was 13 or 14. Her story isn't that much different than many out there.
While in High School, she was with some friends boating at night in the Barbee (sp) chain of lakes in Northern Indiana (1965). All of the sudden a craft emerged in front of them from below the waters surface spinning with various colored lights making as she calls it a whirring sound. As it hovered in front of them for a moment it ascended and eventually disappeared. They frantically made it back to shore where they then B-lined it to the cabin to tell their parents what had happened. Of course they were met with disbelief and accusations of lying. What's interesting about this story is that my Father having heard this story many times finally had the occasion to ask some of these friends at a High School reunion about this incident. Not one of them recalled it ever happening! Now he's the type that believes in other life forms in our universe but feels the distances are too great for travel... Too my knowledge my Mother has never lied or fabricated anything in her life. A down to earth honest woman I tell ya, that still to this day tells the exact same story.
BTW, I'm sure no report was ever made about this incident. One of how many that has not been reported?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join