It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish politican stands up to anti-Kurdish Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I thought I would post something new, meaning not an anti-Isreali thread.

ISTANBUL – The leader of Turkey's Kurdish lawmakers startled the country Tuesday by speaking in his native language in Parliament, breaking the law in a country that has tried for decades to keep a firm grip over the restive minority amid fears of national division. State-run television immediately cut off the live broadcast of legislator Ahmet Turk, ostensibly to celebrate UNESCO world languages week. But his real aim was to challenge the country's policy toward its Kurdish population, a suppression of rights that only recently has started to ease.

"Kurds have long been oppressed because they did not know any other language," Turk said. "I promised myself that I would speak in my mother tongue at an official meeting one day."

The only time I have ever heard about the Kurdish people was post 9/11. It seems they they are a violently oppressed minority (They make up 1/5th of Turkey's population) in Turkey. So I ask every member, who supported the "Palestinian" people to come into this thread and show support for another oppressed group. There are huge numbers of Kurds all over the middle east, the second largest group is in Iran. It is hypocritical to condemn Israel without condemning the actions of Turkey. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere (MLK). I hope to hear a thoughtful response on this thread.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Founding

You can't compare the situation. Maybe you could compare it before. But, south east Turkey is not an occupied area. It is a region where the majority are Kurds.
It is true that Turks oppresed their rights, but things are getting slowly better. They have an official Kurdish Tv now, slowly the politicans are accepting their right. Slowly...But after 20 years, it is an improvement.
Other thing...Kurds, even seperatist Kurds are in Turkish parliament and they have right to represent themselves. Israel does not recognize Hamas.
Other thing...I think you could also not speak Baskian language in Spanish parliament..I dont say I am against speaking Baskian or Kurdish in a parliament, but there are some stupid rules about official language and in governement places you should speak that language.
Sorry about my English by the way

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Founding
So I ask every member, who supported the "Palestinian" people to come into this thread and show support for another oppressed group. There are huge numbers of Kurds all over the middle east, the second largest group is in Iran. It is hypocritical to condemn Israel without condemning the actions of Turkey. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere (MLK). I hope to hear a thoughtful response on this thread.

news.yahoo.com...

By the way, it is a hypocricy to take Palestinians between Quotation marks, and at the same time trying to defend Kurdish Right.
Defend the rights of both. That would be fair

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by deccal

By your logic because the Kurds have their own TV show that equals the sovereignty that "Palestinian" people have? After all which group can elect its own government. Obviously not the Kurds. And again you fail to provide evidence, Kurds are not allowed to speak their language even though they are citizens of Turkey, so how are things getting better?

And I ask where are the rest of the anti-Isreali posters(posers), after all, they care about an oppressed minorities rights?Right? Or is it just Israel they care about.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Founding
reply to post by deccal

By your logic because the Kurds have their own TV show that equals the sovereignty that "Palestinian" people have? After all which group can elect its own government. Obviously not the Kurds. And again you fail to provide evidence, Kurds are not allowed to speak their language even though they are citizens of Turkey, so how are things getting better?

Hey, this is not a competition who is right or wrong. We are talking about humans, societies, cultures etc.. So relax..Nobody failes here.
If you know the past of Turkey, you would accept that things are going better (as a process). Even the kurdish guerillas accept this. This does not mean it is enough. But it is different than some years ago, when Kurds had absolutely no rights.
I do not understand why do you write "Palestinian"...Palestinians, Kurds are people who are oppresed by strong military powers like Turkey and Israel.
Is it it a coincidence that Israel and Turkey are allies? Strong big buddies..

You asked, which group elect their own governement...This is an issue where palestinian and kurdish problem differs. There are 10 million Kurds in Turkey and most of them do not want to seperate. Actually half of the parliament are Kurds. But most of them belong to other parties and they are assimilated. But it is a fact that as a culture and people they are oppresed. They deserve much more rights and recognition. But I doubt they want their own parliament in Turkey or out of Turkey.

On the other hand, in North Iraq there is a Kurdish federation which will be most likely an independent country soon. This is another issue.
Dude, why would someone go from Turkey to Northern Iraq?
If Kurds will have more and more rights in Turkey, nobody will rebel and seperate, believe me. Here I am speaking about Turkish Kurds.
On the other hand, of course all Kurds have a right to build their own land. There are Kurds in all Middle East Countries.
Hope it was understandable because I do not trust my English

[edit on 25-2-2009 by deccal]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Founding

Well I am glade that your at least one of the posters on this forum that acknowledges that "Palestinians" are not the only ones oppressed, and they are not the worse oppressed by far. Darfur....

But you see why no one else comes to this thread in support of the Kurds? Because no one really cares about the people of gaza and the westbank; they only care about hating Israel.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For some strange reason, Israel does not block or impedes Turkish aid to Gaza.

top topics

join