It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrested For Taking Picture Of A Train In New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Robert Taylor took a picture of a train in New York. There's no law against that, but he got arrested anyway, handcuffed and brought in to the police station. The taxpayers will now have to cough up a big fat check for this unlawful arrest. There must be very little crime in New York, since they have to make up stuff to arrest people...

The New York Times: No Photo Ban in Subways, Yet an Arrest

February 17, 2009

Around 4:30 last Thursday, Robert Taylor stood on the station’s elevated platform, taking a picture of a train.

[---]

Finished with his camera, Mr. Taylor, 30, was about to board the train when a police officer called to him. He stepped back from the train.

“The cop wanted my ID, and I showed it to him,” Mr. Taylor said. “He told me I couldn’t take the pictures. I told him that’s not true, that the rules permitted it. He said I was wrong. I said, ‘I’m willing to bet your paycheck.’ ”

[---]

In handcuffs, Mr. Taylor was delivered to the Transit District 12 police station, and a warrant check was run. “They were citing 9/11,” said Mr. Taylor, whose encounter was described on a blog by the photographer Carlos Miller. “Of course, 9/11 is serious. I said: ‘Let’s be real. We’re in the Bronx on the 2 train. Let’s be for real here. Come on.’ ”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The charge for taking a picture of a train was dismissed of course, but they will still charge him for addressing the officers in an "unreasonable voice" and for "impeding traffic". The platform where he got arrested was 10,000 square feet and with a traffic rate of 15 people per hour. "Impeding traffic", yeah right... The police shouldn't have arrested him in the first place.

In the case of Mr. Taylor, the “officers misinterpreted the rules concerning photography,” said Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman. “The Transit Adjudication Board is being notified that summons was issued in error, resulting in its dismissal.”

However, the police will press on with charges of impeding traffic and unreasonable noise, Mr. Browne said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Adding a video of mine. It's from the Metro in Copenhagen, Denmark. I haven't been arrested nor handcuffed for making this video. Press play:

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wow!
I can understand increased security due to 9/11..to an extent.
But my gosh we are talking about one of the biggest cities as a tourist destination in the world and these tourists take PICTURES.
What are they gonna do..increase the police force to handle people taking photos in case they are terrorists?
That's just freakin crazy.
They need to handle NY's TRAFFIC more so that people taking pics. THAT is far more dangerous.
SHEESH!:shk:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
What is this? A transit cop is having a bad day so he decides to arrest someone for taking pictures. Then to beat it all they are still going to charge Mr. Taylor for being pissed off about it. How about charging the transit cop for unlawful arrest and impeding traffic. He's the one who did everything wrong. I hope the man fights this but I know that most people just want to get it over with and be on their way. The transit police officer is the law breaker in this story.

join