It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Issues in My Family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hello.

I've always had a little thorn in the side towards the "White Christ". Or infact, the concept of the entire religon involved with his worship.
This beef of mine is actually quite senseless however, since he never exsisted. It is like having a grudge with your imaginary friend...hmmm...
I was ready to put this deal to rest, at least the most fiery aspects of my hostilities until some facts came to light.
Maybe it is not "rage" I feel...I mean, I do not wish to wage any active war against christianity...but to be fully honest: my heart has been on that path for many, many years.
I do not attack any single person for his or her belief since I wish not to be attacked by anyone else in the same matter...but they have at times...and when that happens, I let the infernal fire rain down upon them... Yet, it is not the person I hold responsible, it is the systematic ignorance and denial, not to mention the sheer enslavement of it all that fills me with contempt, disgust and anger. I wish not use the term "hate" here, because as soon as you enter the dimension of hatered, you are bound for destruction.

The thing is; my dear Mother is a devoted christian. Not to stop there, she is confessed Orthodox. You know, she is really, really christian... I've seen some stuff she is into and it kind of bothers me.
You who are of the same oppinion as me might see where I am heading.
I love my Mother, just like the next guy loves his or hers, but in the concept of loving a person I think that letting them know the truth is involved.

See it like this:
A dear friend of yours, or family member, has been caught up in a relationship which contains abuse and opression... You try to tell them that they live in a negative surrounding, but they just deny it. They need this guy to be happy, no matter the consequence. Still you worry about their well-being. You want them to break free of this abuse, likewise no matter the temporary consequences...

She is intelligent and kind-hearted...more mellow and peaceful than most people...
But this christianity kind of thoughts...they involve some extreme viewpoints. Some...not so friendly ones. And to cover the rest of it: it is based on lies and deception.
I just feel that she deserves to know the truth...maybe not the truth about God, the Universe and all above and below (since I know not of any person who holds this wisdom) but the truth about the false, make-believe world she wanders in, totally oblivious...

The "Zeitgiest"-presentation of christianity is a pretty neat one. Even though those facts were already in my mind in some form. Maybe I haven't made such efforts in investigating the deal myself, but I was already pretty aware of the whole deal being phony.
I would like to have her see it. Then she can connect the dots herself... But I don't know...it is a dilemma. Will I set her "free" or will I crush her fragile heart? Will she hate me over it, or thank me?

I am very much spiritual myself and I understand that it is matter of great sensitivity. My belief is strong, since it only follows pre-constructed ideas on a minor scale and is based mostly on my own presonal revelations and insights... But hers are so strongly dictatorial in fashion...

Maybe I should do like every good son and leave her be, I mean, as long as she is happy, all is fine, right?
But what if she deserves better? What if her own mind could make a reality for her to live in much better...?

You know, the reason for this keeping me awake at night, so to speak, is just out of sheer love and care for her. I hate to see her stuck in that mess... But she chose it herself...does that make things better or worse?

Help me please. I just need to ventilate this issue.
Thank you in advance...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Wow. The op is redolent with sanctimony.

Before you go off and 'set your mother straight', please consider that unless she is a hermit she has already heard your argumentative and has chosen not to embrace it.

I'm concerned that anyone who takes zeitgeist seriously has decided that they will 'enlighten' someone else.

In my opinion the best thing that you can do is spend some time and do some real research and be available if she ever wishes to discuss her faith and solicits your opinion.

Eric

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have similar issues with people in my family. :shk:

Much as I would like to set them "right" I recognize that it is no better for me to try to do that than it is for them to try to convert me to Christianity.

If she wants to "wake up" then one day she will, otherwise if you try to break her out that will only cement her idea that she is in the right path.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies...

asmeone2, nice to have you!

Well, first, let me just comment on what I said about "Zeitgeist".
I saw these productions just a couple of days ago. Before that I just had it up to here with people jabbin about that movie. Finally, I just could not take it and had to watch them (and with "it" I guess I mean my own bias...)
I think they are pretty neat. I do not concur with every single detail, but over-all, it sums it up pretty good.
And the part about religion does leave some to wish for, but still, it presents the subjects very pedagogical (or how you say that) and it feels pretty solid.
But for most parts of it all, it is alreday known to me, thanks to independent research, both from reading and from spiritual reflections and insights thank you very much (!). And of course, from dwelling at ATS...most of that stuff is actually old news!

But I think I will let my dear Mom have it her way. She has been through some rough times in her life, and it is not like she is getting younger... But mind you, she has been having her thoughts about my spiritual approach as well, but lately she has not made any comments on them so maybe I will treat her with the equal respect...

But you must know that Orthodox Christianity is very extreme in some views. For one, it is an extremely homofobic philiosophy. It is also very set on the fact that the followers of that religion are saints and all, I mean all the others are seen upon as heretics and will be sent to eternal damnation at the "utter day". I read her sort of "diploma" they get once they confessed... I clearly makes out that she will go to heaven, but I, and the rest of the family memebers will most probably not. At least not if you take that stuff by letter, and that is exactly what you should do. It is otrhodox you know...not liberal at any aspect.
I know she loves me, and the rest of us...but that spiritual choice of hers...man, it makes me uneasy.

But yeah, I guess I'll leave her to it. Why even bother?
God knows...and God is not very conserned... God is aware of the intetions of your heart, for your heart is also a spark of God. Just like all that lives, it is from the same Divine origin...

Just needed these thoughts out of my system.
Thanks for reading.

Peace.

And yeah, let me just add one more thing. I am not saying that what I think is right...I do not hold the eternal answers in the palm of my hand, but I can sure recognize something that is...hmm...farther from the truth. I know this has been said but "I don't know what God is, I don't know if anyone knows...but I know what God isn't." Heh, I kind of jolted a bit when I heard that, because I that is exactly what I've always said myself in this sort of discussion...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well... I meant, I'm sure you've run into this, but if you try to "push" her she can just look up one of those "persecution" verses to discount what you're saying. That you challenging her faith prooves were'd in the end times or something. :shk:

Anyways, like I said, love her enough to lt her have her faith, and be there for her if she does decide to step out. I would not challenge her beleifs, but I would not hide yours if she challenges you, either, as much as you can without breaking the peace.

You can U2U me if you want. My situation is about 98% similar.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thanks dude. I will be sure to remember that offer if things turn ugly...

I can only think of one time when she really pushed me on the issue. I don't know what I said in return, but am I sure it was something that suited the situation.

What bugs me though, is that she is, in her excitement over her church and church buddies (uuh, church buddies *shurgs*, they are the worst, glad I don't live at home anymore) she kind of "promotes" her views...tries to sneak it into discussions...and it leaves me biting my tongue until it bleeds...not to just rant out: "It is FAKE, okay! FAKE story! Bizarre ideals, hypocrisy and probably worse than worshipping this "devil" of yours!!!"

...but I would not say such a thing. Never. I feel guilty for even thinking that.
I love my mom. She is the best. At least in her sweet, harmless heart...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
First of all. She is not in a mess. She (believes in her God)

Go read about the girl in my sig. many, and I mean many saints seen christ face to face. many had the stigmata, many raised the dead, and I myself have seen many miracles in my life, and my grandmother seen Christ in her living room during prayer.

you say stuff like.

" Since he's not real "

" enslavement "

Son what is enslavement to you, by your own arrogant bias opinion, is pure freedom to others like me.

without God I myself am eslaved. With God I am free. And I didn't grow up religious, I grew up ruthless.

So your opinions on your mom are from a bias opinion.

Your mom is probably happy as hell with God, and she knows he's real, it's called faith and through it you can see miracles which happen everyday.

I don't mean to flame brother, but I'm tired of the arrogant ass stuff like comments that say " He's not real "

That's BS. You don't know that.

I hope your mom does what's in her heart, and truly I hope you 2 can work things out, because she's not truning back.

peace.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hm.
I was waiting for a reply like that to show up.

Well, I can easily see why you are offended, and the possible "flaming" that you would like to avoid is not to be worried about; none taken.

You must see, that as firm as you stand by the White Christ, as firm do I stand without him.

I have made my thinking, connected the dots and I am ever so satisfied with what I have come to.

I will leave my mother be. She gave birth to me, fed me, put up with me during my teens...I think she is entitled to have whatever religion she likes...as long as she keeps it to herself; which is a major problem you Christians seem to be having! You just can't leave a brother be, can you?

Well, enough for now.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

as long as you are content in your knowledge OP...then i say leave your mother content with hers.
A lot of religious people are perfectly happy, along with many agnostics and Atheists too.... It's a very personal thing and i say live and let live man...

You'll only cause conflict and divisions between you and your mum..... It's not worth it mate.
Just be happy that at least you know ( a little of) the truth.

And yeah... I'd also go and research a bit more and find some more reputable sources than Zeitgeist man.... cool movie but slightly lacking in facts..(well 1st section anyway)

Take it easy

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
See here's what I never understand. Somebody calls him fake and they are horrible and viscious. Christians claim that they know he is real and thus there is no way an athiest could be right about this. Now...when a Christian claims some amazing proof and is denied for any reason, it seems the denier is unworthy of appropriate response. Now don't get me wrong, your bring hate and flame you deserve hate and flame but I cannot for the life of me figure out why people cannot let others be. You say he's real? fine...he is real to you.

This guy says he isn't real? Fine, he isn't real to you. The fact is, neither side can concretely prove their point without producing God to that person in the flesh, so why keep fighting it?

Now, OP I apologize but that rant was welling in me. I understand how you feel. My mother is a denomination of Christianity and I am a Pagan and believe me I have met my fair share of 'issues' she brought up. We're quite happy now. She goes her spiritual path and I go mine. I understand the frustration when you think someone is in some sort of mental or spiritual danger. I think you've made a fine decision in leaving it be and I can very well see the purpose of this discussion you started.

Good luck to you

PS...you want to see the real truth? Find it for yourself. It seems as if you have...the only thing I ask is to let the rest of us have our truths as well.

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well, yea I'm glad you have thick skin. I get mad at people and then over it in a couple minutes.

But yea, that's good that you are fine with it but the op seems like you are not fine with it.

She's a big woman, she knows, plus you say she's smart, she knows how to chose herself.

I don't understand by pushing it on people. Does she do that to you?

peace.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your nice replies.

I will set the standards at "equal respect". She lets me have it my way and I will stay out of her way...

I wish the ways of her religion was as diplomatic and peaceful as that.
But it isn't.

I think, for as long as I won't even take an invitation for arguments over this issue, sought or unsought, it is an automatic win for me!

One thing could be said about you Christians; you sure spice up my world every now and then!
Not sure weather I should "thank" you for that, but it is pretty amusing at times.

Peace unto all.

top topics

join