It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saintly Obama Gets Priestly Slam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Not sure if this is religion or politics -

San Francisco Chronicle

He may be the Second Coming to many San Franciscans - but one local Catholic priest wants a popular prayer candle with President Obama's picture on it pulled from a local gift shop, saying it "mocks Jesus" and "depicts our beloved saints in a not so saintly way."

The Rev. Tony La Torre of St. Philip the Apostle Church, in ever-hip Noe Valley, is so riled up that he's calling for a boycott of the neighborhood's Just For Fun card and novelty shop, which has been selling the $15 candles at a fast clip.

The candles feature the president's halo-adorned head plastered onto the crucifix-clutching body of St. Martin de Porres, the Peruvian-born friar regarded as one of the first black saints in the Americas.

The store owners have sold more than 700 candles and are expecting more shipments. They don't plan to stop selling them. The church says this is mocking the Catholic/Christian faith. That it ridicules Catholic beliefs.

If this were Muslim beliefs being mocked and misused, there'd be an uproar. But it seems it's okay because it's 'just the catholics'.

There wasn't a picture with the article - but I found what I think they are talking about ... St. Martin de Porres with Obama's head on it -

These aren't the ones the church is complaining about. But I thought I'd show them to show that there are many versions ... and they are all hot sellers amongst his followers.

If you google images - obama candle - you'll see a ton of them.
It's rather creepy.
People light candles in places of worship, asking spiritual entities for help.
People light candles in occult practices when dealing with the spiritual world.

For a living human being - a lawyer/politician - to be on a candle like this, and to hear all the messianic rhetoric coming from his followers and from himself as well. YIKES.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm not surprised. I keep thinking (hoping) that his supporters will see past his charm and charisma and realize that he's no better than his predecessors. It's scary how gullible people are.

To me, this is proof that some liken him to a saviour or the messiah. America's standards have dropped considerably.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow!
Some people have too much time on their hands.

And an extremely disturbing imagination. What's even more disturbing is the fact that there will be orders for this abomination.

Can i just say eeewwww!?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So many people have been so disillusioned with Bush that they think that Obama is the messiah.

It's sad what the nation has become... that we have let our nation come to this.

new topics

top topics

join