It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the US NUKE an Island for OIL???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
There are records in mexican cartography that describe a small unpopulated island known as Isla Bermeja.

This island effectively extended Mexico's authority over international waters in the gulf area. Well, the island is not there now.

Is it possible that elements in the US decided that those oil rich waters are better off under our control and secretly made the island disappear? Judge for yourself.

-rrr

The mysterious island of oil

Joaquín Rivery Tur

• APPROACHING the end of the age of black gold, U.S. citizens imagine a river of light crude flowing toward their refineries. Their southern neighbors are angry at the prospect of the gringos stealing oil via bribery from their deep-water blocks in the Gulf of Mexico, just like they striped the country of half of its territory using violence and money.

The two dilemmas are currently creating a scandal in Mexico and there is growing demand for an investigation into the haze surrounding the disappearance of the island of Bermeja, which was present for centuries on maps as part of the Yucatan but was erased from them in 1977.

www.granma.cu...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Very interesting. Just fairly resently dissappeared without anybody noticing. Doing some other research but I'm sorta leaning towards the oceans rising angle.

Here's another article raising questions.

www.redicecreations.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This site has information on the island's location from 1994.
www.traveljournals.net...

Looked it up on google earth. Nothing but blue water! Where is it?

Coordinates are:

Lat.- 22' 33' 0 N
Long.- 91' 22' 0 W

star and flag

[edit on 14-2-2009 by geo1066]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I think people would notice if one or several nukes powerful enough to destroy an island were going off -_-

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
So instead of some more plausible theories like the earth's plates moving or seawater levels rising, we are going to assume the USA nuked the island for some silly reason ? Why don't we just ask the Mexican government? Surely they know what happened to their island, especially if it's as important to them as you say.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by ProfessorRusso]

link   
I agree that a nuke would be noticed. From as far away as Europe. I am more inclined to believe rising sea levels, or sinking sea floor, or a combination of both. Maybe Navy Seals dismantled it a shovel at a time. Even that is more probable than a nuke.

link   
Could just be errosion from the major hurricanes passing over the islandin the past decade. The beaches in florida were washed away in the tides in the past few years and still aren't the same.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorRusso
So instead of some more plausible theories like the earth's plates moving or seawater levels rising, we are going to assume the USA nuked the island for some silly reason ? Why don't we just ask the Mexican government? Surely they know what happened to their island, especially if it's as important to them as you say.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by ProfessorRusso]

I came in here to say exactly this...A change in sealevel seems most plausible, or if a plate shifted that could have dipped the island back below the surface. I have a feeling we would've heard something about the nuke by now

[edit on 14-2-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Come on guys, get w/ the program. Aliens won't allow nukes to be used
Duuuuh

Anyway, isn't it also like, right in the center of the bermuda triangle? I think its safe to say it just fell victim to the inevitable. Sea levels are rising, plates are shifting, hurricanes are crashing...take your pick.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by -NewSense-]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Now let's think about it, with all of todays technology with the"Big Brother" syndrome and such, how could it just vanish?

Erosion?- 31 square miles of landmass would systematically disappear. I do believe that would have been noticed.

Nuked?- Again it's 31 square miles. That's alot of bomb not to be noticed.

Tetonic plates?- Very plausible but if it just dropped into the ocean wouldn't there be a massive tusami?

Rising oceans?- Again, with satelite imaging and how much interest is in this wouldn't the enviromentalist be using this island as a guage?

The island was there and was of substancial size and stability to be used as a landmark for the oil treaty in 2000.
And now to make all of this more confusing, where is this treaty between the U.S. and the Mexican gov't? There's documentation on it but neither side has the original? Something is amiss here I do believe.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Was it enhabited?

What would a few or many well placed propane bombs do to the base of it?

1 101010

Watcher

top topics

join