It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal ash spill cleanup could cost $825 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Coal ash spill cleanup could cost $825 million

www.msnbc.msn.com

updated 2 hours, 52 minutes ago

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - It could cost as much as $825 million to clean up a river and a rural neighborhood after a massive spill of coal ash sludge from a Tennessee Valley Authority power plant, the utility's chief executive said Thursday.

President and CEO Tom Kilgore told the TVA board of directors that the nation's largest public utility had already spent $31 million on the work from December through the end of January.

It was the first board meeting since 1.1 billion gallons of coal ash sludge broke out of a containment pond on Dec. 22, flooding homes and pouring into a river inlet near the Kingston Fossil Plant, about 40 miles west of Knoxville. No one was hurt, but 300 acres were covered with up to 9 feet of grayish muck.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Submit General News

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wow is all that I can really say.

I've read how big this spill was/is but that is a lot of greenbacks to be set aside for the clean up.

Don't get me wrong, They should be made to clean it up as it was their pond that failed, but I just never imagined that it would cost that much to get it done.

Anybody know what involved to get this task accomplished??

I understand that the river needs to be dredged, but aside from that I really have no clue how they do it.

Anyone??

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join