It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cat, it's parasites, and their effect on human civilization.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I posted this to another thread yesterday. I wanted to start a new one though to drum up a conversation on the toxoplasma parasite.

There is a lot of information available on this issue. I think it to be more than chance that the domestication of the cat and the origins of civilization coincide almost exactly.

www.google.com... zeCw&usg=AFQjCNHrQi4QrzAr3AlcHQRjbW2LUpJTAA&sig2=UTH0H341FssFAbcFrOI7DA

google "lafferty t gondii"

It seems that even the latent infection can cause behavior changes conducive to people living in close co-habitation. We don't have predators as an infected mouse does. However, we do have enemies. The ability to be in close proximity to others that we may deem a threat would certainly be conducive to civilized society. That would be the human equivalent to a reduced sense of threat. As mice infected no longer avoid areas where cat urine is present, humans would no longer avoid threats from other humans and would develop new sets of skills for dealing with conflict. As well, it seems to cause neurotic symptoms. OCD has helped us survive and overcome plague after plague. As well it has aided us in developing learned behaviors that protect us from threat. Particularly interesting is that t gondii infection reduces novelty seeking, increasing reliance on routine.

More than interesting, this is amazing. I'm going to get tested soon. . . .lol. It's too bad, I love my cat. He'll have to start staying outside now.

There is no treatment once the infection becomes latent. Researchers are just finding chemicals that can breach the boundary of the cysts that the parasites lay dormant in.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't buy this. It's one source. I love my cat, parasite or not, I come home to a loving purring ball of fur that makes me feel better at the end of the day. The love i get from her, I don't really care if she has a so called parasite.

Also, if this were true, half of the population on ATS who have cats wouldn't even be on this site

[edit on 11-2-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I have a friend who now has reduced vision in one of her eyes due to toxo plasmosis, I dont think she feels its fake or of no concern. Wake up and do the research instead of shrugging it off.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
"Despite its association with neuroticism, Lafferty doesn't think all of the cat parasite's effects on human culture are bad.

"After all, they add to our cultural diversity," he said."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BINGO... He hit the nail on the head. Don't put your cat down or change its living habits, feline companionship and whatever negatives have come along with them has helped to shape who we are as a people over the thousands of years of domestication.

Even if cats were found out to be responsible for 90% of all diseases on Earth, I would still be keeping all three of mine(Emma 19, Hobby 9 and MoMo 1).

Peace

PS - The Sphinx might be a little reminder to us that there could be more to cats than meets the eye.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

[edit on 11-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The earth would be well on the road to recovery and would return to her pristine opulent splendor if rid of its only true parasite.

Unfortunately that would be us.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
i've read about this parasite about 6 years ago. i was very intrigued about how it works and how complex it is. to the point that it actually makes humans have a lack of a need to groom and take on a more rugged appearance and lower your guard, so it says

to me that is quite amazing, that a parasite can accomplish something so perfectly tuned for a cats needs in hunting....

i love my cat, and tho the parasites are meant for mice and other prey its interesting that they can affect humans and hopefully they can discover treatment for it soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by phlack

Its so strange that you brought that up because I remember reading about that in a science journal a few years ago. I thought it was the oddest thing and I decided I would never be having a cat as a pet! Then yesterday I mentioned it to a friend who owns a cat, and I don't ever think I've mentioned it to anybody.

But in any case, this behavioral change that comes along with cats is very real and I believe that because I've read about that not once but twice in science journals. It is definitely one of the most fascinating diseases I've heard about and is most definitely something that everyone should know! It deserves more study IMO.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Aakron]

top topics

join