It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Headteacher 'forced out' over ban on Muslim-only assemblies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

A head teacher who was accused of racism after she tried to scrap separate assemblies for Muslim children at her school has resigned.

Julia Robinson's departure follows an 18-month dispute over her attempt to hold a single weekly assembly for all pupils at Meersbrook Bank primary school, in Sheffield, regardless of their faith.

More than 20 per cent of the school's 240 pupils are Muslims.
Parents from the local mosque said that the Islamic services started ten years ago after they withdrew their children from the daily service.
One said that the split came after a teacher tried to force a Muslim pupil to sing a Christian hymn.

I think you either you beleive in equality or you don't - muslim children being placed in separate assembly classes to all the other school children sounds quite unhealthy to me.
Also, how can muslim parents make claims of racism towards the head teacher?
How can you be racist against an organised religion?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It is today's PC society.

If you are a minority, you cannot be in the wrong in situations like this. Just the strange way the world works at the moment.

It's like the whole Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays fiasco.

Businesses were displaying the latter message so as not to offend Muslims.

But, if they wear a Hijab or headscarf etc. into the local Returned Services League (which prohibit all head wear as a sign of respect to fallen soldiers) we can't say a damn thing about it because that would be being 'racist'.

I really hate 'political correctness'. I'm all for equality, however, but not when some are more equal than others.

join