It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buyers Remorse for Mother of USS Cole Victim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
(not sure if this is political issues or political news)

Dianne McDaniels voted for Obama.
Now she says she thinks that she made the wrong decision.

Dianne McDaniels is the mother of James McDaniels who died on the USS Cole which was hit by a terrorist attack on October 12, 2000.

Obama's Jan. 22 executive order is the reason for her buyers remorse.

AP/YAHOO News

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon's senior judge overseeing terror trials at Guantanamo Bay dropped charges Thursday against an al-Qaida suspect in the 2000 USS Cole bombing, upholding President Barack Obama's order to freeze military tribunals there.

The charges against suspected al-Qaida bomber Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri marked the last active Guantanamo war crimes case.

The legal move by Susan J. Crawford, the top legal authority for military trials at Guantanamo, brings all cases into compliance with Obama's Jan. 22 executive order to halt terrorist court proceedings at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba.

Reminder - These are the Americans of the USS Cole who were killed because of the terrorist attack -

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I feel really, really, really bad for this poor mom. She's had family tragedy and now she's living a nightmare. Her opinions are based upon valid fears. I'm impressed that she refused to see the man (Obama) who will be responsible for allowing terrorists to get away with murder - literally.

God bless her.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
FYI - Bush/Cheney were the ones who; to this day, have released majority of the 'terrorists'. That woman needs to realize that it's not personal and that her anger over her personal loss, is no reason to dehumanize people at Gitmo.

She personally made a mistake by not meeting with Obama, Bush never even came close to listening to them, let alone actually meeting with them.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Riviera

Who was pushing for releasing the terrorists and closing Gitmo? wasnt Bush or Cheney.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Another USS Cole family declined the invitation to meet with Obama

Story Here

Families of USS Cole Victims Worry White House Meeting is Window Dressing. - That's the title of the story, not my title.

"We've already waited eight years for justice. Justice delayed is justice denied," said retired Navy Cmdr. Kirk S. Lippold, the commanding officer of the Cole when it was bombed in Yemen. ....

Gary Swenchonis, a Texas resident whose son, Gary Jr., was killed in the Cole bombing, told FOX News he turned down an invitation from the White House to meet with Obama.

Swenchonis said he received the invitation Thursday, and that he did not care to travel from Texas to Washington on such short notice to hear the "bad news" that charges were withdrawn in the al-Nashiri case.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
OOOH .. apparently this wasn't an invitation to the White House. According to Huffington Post (which leans very far left) this meeting wasn't at the White House. It was an hour long meeting held held next door at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Just to clarify - it was't an invitation to the White House - it was a meeting with Obama.

Huffington Post

The New York Times says that at the hour long meeting Obama spoke for 10 minutes and then answered 16 questions.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't blame them for not wanting to meet with Obama. But I don't understand why she would vote for Obama and then be surprised by this move. Obama did promise to close Gitmo during campaigning. It was also a liberal vote in the Supreme Court that gave these inhuman monsters in Gitmo U.S. Constitutional rights. Being that Obama is liberal, shouldn't they have expected a move like this?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama signs off pardons for every prisoner in Gitmo before this is all over and sets them all free.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What I can't figure out is why anyone who voted for Obama would be surprised at his keeping at least some of his campaign promises.

What was she thinking when she decided to vote for Obama?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
What was she thinking when she decided to vote for Obama?

Good question. It was well known what he intended to do with all this.
Gee .. hmm .. why would she have voted for the guy?
We could only speculate. I guess we'd have to ask her.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

top topics

join