It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Refinery Workers Unofficially Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well this is terrible. Whilst i can see why these people are striking they are doing it at the worst possible time. This strike, if it becomes widespread and we see the fuel panics of a few years ago could completely crash the economy. At the very least it could damage a lot of businesses and knock some more points off the economy. If the UK is seen as unstable in supplying it's freight services then we're in trouble.

Refinery Strikes Spread Across The UK

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

The unrest among the working class in England is a precursor for things to come in the U.S.. The people are tired of bearing the burden and when they voice their complaints,they are met with a deaf ear.
This is not a good sign by any means.It looks like a long road for us all with no place to turn around.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

The unrest among the working class in England is a precursor for things to come in the U.S.. The people are tired of bearing the burden and when they voice their complaints,they are met with a deaf ear.
This is not a good sign by any means.It looks like a long road for us all with no place to turn around.

Agreed but these people are being short sighted. They are annoyed about foreign workers getting jobs and yet these strikes, if they become widespread will cause so much trouble that many more will lose their jobs. If a strike occurred that was like the one a few years back, causing people to rush to the pumps and deplete supplies then the entire economy could be in jeopardy. I mean even more so than it currently is.

These people really need to think this one through.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Very true,their actions could cause a slow down or even a complete shut down of the refinery system.However the influx of foreign workers is enough to warrent fear.These foreign workers will probably work for less pay and will eventually push the refinery workers out of a job.I see their point.It would be a hard choice to make.Watch the country suffer a little now or watch themselves suffer greatly later. In the long run this will be a no win situation as far as I can see.
I hope that this problem can be rectified before it becomes uncontrolable.
For everyones sake.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

According to the article these aren't your basic unskilled workers. They are also receiving the exact same pay as the British ones according to the BBC. Maybe it's because foreign workers don't complain and don't refuse to do their jobs. They don't take lots of sick days and other such things.

If they're paying them the same wage then there must be a very good reason to hire them.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Total have contracted work at the refinery to an italian company who are employing italian workers..racism anyone??? equal opportunities i think not

new topics

top topics

join