It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Strengthens Unions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Bloomberg

Yes, this will fix the problem. Strengthen a corrupt quasi-communist system that rewards greed, apathy, and stupidity. The devil is in the details folks. Give the bankers our money and the unions the power.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by traderjack]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

While I am all for strengthening the middle class (something this country hasn't thought about for the last 8 years) I am opposed to unions. In my opinion an employee should be promoted or dismissed based on performance not longevity. Unions in my opinion are a terrible burden on a corporation, forcing a corporation to employ people to do as little as possible with virtually no ability to promote, or discipline a employee for work or lack of.

Several years ago I worked at a large supermarket chain, as an employee I was required to join the union, against my will. (I had asked if I could opt out of the union when I was hired but I could not) To test the power of the union, I no called no showed for a week then went in to see if I still had a job. The store manager could not fire me as I was a union employee and he could only write me up.

It was outrageous. That right there is exactly why unions are a bad thing. Unions were necessary before labor laws but today they are a lumbering dinosaur who only are a drain on the economy and are fundamentally corrupt organisations that are in place only to promote longevity in the company but not performance. In fact performance is looked on by union members as a slight and anyone who acts in the companies best interest by working hard is seen as a detriment to the group as a whole.

Take steps to promote the middle class not through unions, but through deflationary acts, make our dollar worth more and you will see the middle class grow.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Unions are an abomination. Here in Rhode Island we are dealing with a $350 million+ budget shortfall. Yet the city and state workers are using state equipment for personal use on paid time. They cannot fire these people they can only suspend them. In the private sector this would warrant immediate dismissal.

www.wpri.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure on this one

Unions appear to have the power to organize workers and walkout to protest unfair regualtions and rewards for the financial institutions or corporations they represent....this sends a message that those pig parasites can read because they are F%*#'n with there $$$

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As a member of IATSE local 480; the greedy pigs would pay us minimum wage for skills I spent 4 years as an apprentice to learn if it weren't for the clout of the organization. It's an adversarial situation that won't soon be resolved.

The unions wouldn't even exist if it weren't for corporate greed. I only have health coverage and retirement thru the union. If I get hurt on the job; who takes care of me? The Union not the production companies.

In right to work states......yeah, right to work for less. Unions do the same thing corporations do. Maximize profits, but for the people that actually do the work, instead of the stockholders.

If it weren't for President Bush's failed economic model, war on the middle class and oil company welfare; I would still be in business for myself and not need to join a union to work.

When I was selfemployed I was a Republican; not anymore.

Thanks President Obama!

[edit on 30-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not to worry.The "Great Provider" will smooth the ruffled feathers of the corporations and union workers alike. Just think with all the money in the new bill alloted for STD prevention,only the plumbers union will have to worry about dripping pipes!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Thanks President Obama!

This comment from you amazed me! I have some questions.......

So when you were an individual, taking care of, and providing for yourself...you considered yourself a Republican?

Now that you rely on others, and the goverment, for your livelyhood, you consider yourself a Democrat?

In which scenario did you feel better about yourself? Do you ever aspire to become a self-sufficient Republican again? Or do you want others to take care of you the rest of your life? The latter is a much easier choice...in fact liberalism is the easiest choice anyone can make..no thinking...just feelings.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by whaaa

Thanks President Obama!

This comment from you amazed me! I have some questions.......

So when you were an individual, taking care of, and providing for yourself...you considered yourself a Republican?

Now that you rely on others, and the goverment, for your livelyhood, you consider yourself a Democrat?

In which scenario did you feel better about yourself? Do you ever aspire to become a self-sufficient Republican again? Or do you want others to take care of you the rest of your life? The latter is a much easier choice...in fact liberalism is the easiest choice anyone can make..no thinking...just feelings.

RR, You amaze me at how you can twist and spin a post to fit your own ideology without any regard to what the post actually said.

For your information numb**** I am now employed, working 14-16 hrs a day/night, sometimes 7 days a week. How in the hell did you construe that to mean "relying on others, and the government, for your livelihood"??

And I wish my business was still a viable entity, but thanks to Bush and his cozy relationship with the oil companies and the resulting $4.00+ gal gas; I couldn't hold on long enough to keep my business afloat. And please don't give me any of that tired old "supply and demand," BS"

If you think that working as hard as I do, paying taxes, taking care of my family; is liberalism then you are a fool! That Rush koolaid is playing hell with your thinking processes! Christ, you're one to criticize anyone for not thinking, when it's the conservative talking heads that think for you.

BTW, I'm a proud member of Local 480 and our ranks are growing daily and they will continue to grow; especially as the neocon corruption and greed is brought more to light. Thank the good Lord and Local 408, I now have health ins. and a retirement 401k. I don't mind in the least my union dues. The GOP is toast, obsolete, discredited and just a pimp for big corporations.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack
Bloomberg

Yes, this will fix the problem. Strengthen a corrupt quasi-communist system that rewards greed, apathy, and stupidity. The devil is in the details folks. Give the bankers our money and the unions the power.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by traderjack]

Now that the unions are spreading like a virus in every level of goernment the tax payers are going to get screwed big time.

The democrats gave companies a death blow with their insane tax system and now they are going to finish off many more companies by giving the organized crime money machine power over private and public industries.

The union greed machine is unstopable.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
ATS Thread

Take a look at what Ben Stein had to say about the 'stimulus package'.
1/2 of it will eventually go to democratically controlled unions.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sorry but ive got to support the Unions on this one. They are the ONLY protection for workers, and without them jobs pay as little as possible to skilled workers, and keep all the profits for the owners. Dont rely on your silly labor laws to protect you, for when it all comes down, those with money have the protections, and those without have no money to pursue legal protection when they need it.

I am in a psyche bachelor position, and in other states where unions operate, even when im NOT in a union i do ok, with standard salary of 40k, but the ability to make up to 60k if i need to with overtime.....not a hell of a lot base pay, but enough to make a living. Keeping in mind in my job i am often in danger, and daily have to deal with violence and emotional trauma.

Now living in new orleans, with no unions, I and all my coworkers make a measly 20k a year, thats 10/hour....only $.30 above the poverty level. $950/month after taxes, and if i bust my butt and work OT all month i might be able to bring in 2k.

THIS is the difference just having unions makes, and while you might point your fingers to how bad the unions may be, remember that the corporations that you work for are FAR FAR worse. If you truly dont think they would revert to such terrible and deadly labor practices as we had in the 1800's and early 1900's, just look at the fact of what our american corporations are already doing in other countries where there are no protections. Sweat shops in china, people working with deadly and dangerous chemicals such as mercury, lead, etc with no protections, no gear, and no healthcare when they get ill from it. Look it up, these are the same corporations you support now. I even read lately of corps like coca cola and others giving millions in aid to despots and dictators to help suppress their people so they will be forced to give cheap labor.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Oh, forgot the main point, being, if they will do this to mexicans, to chinese and to africans, dont think for a second that they wont do it to you. Being american gives no special protection from a corporation whose only care is profit.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Isn't this going to help the economy? paying people twice what they are worth? as far as I'm concerned the AFL CIO is just another version of organized crime,now only way to get a job is through the union,oh well couldn't think of a better way to accelerate the demise of the US

top topics

join