It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq to Deny New License To Blackwater Security Firm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Iraq to Deny New License To Blackwater Security Firm

www.washingtonpost.com

The Iraqi government has informed the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad that it will not issue a new operating license to Blackwater Worldwide, the embassy's primary security company, which has come under scrutiny for allegedly using excessive force while protecting American diplomats, Iraqi and U.S. officials said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Good news for a change. Blackwater will not be able to operate in Iraq anymore.

The Iraq government, has let the U.S. embassy know, they will not allow Blackwater to operate in Iraq, though those employees of Blackwater who have not committed crimes - can stay, but under a different firm.

My first thought with that is: how easy is it for Blackwater than to create a subsiderary and still operate under a different name in Iraq?

Iraq's Interior Ministry conveyed its decision to U.S. officials in Baghdad on Friday, in one of the boldest moves the government has made since the Jan. 1 implementation of a security agreement with the United States that sharply curbed American power in Iraq.

Blackwater employees who have not been accused of improper conduct will be allowed to continue working as private security contractors in Iraq if they switch employers, Iraqi officials said Wednesday.

Until the whole killing event with citizens of Iraq, by Blackwater employees, I did not know that we hired and utilized "alternative military guards". I thought only our own official U.S. military was there.

The company has received more than $1 billion from the federal government since 2000. In recent months, however, Blackwater has expanded its business model to rely less heavily on private security work overseas. Though tremendously profitable, the field has generated an avalanche of bad publicity for the company and exposed it to numerous lawsuits.

One thing about this too, I have wondered, if those Blackwater guards, receive MORE benefits and pay than our hardworking volunteer troops?

I am very glad Iraq is kicking out Blackwater.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

join