It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church backs legalising blasphemy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Church backs legalising blasphemy

www.news.com.au

THE Anglican Church of Australia and atheists agree on one thing - that blasphemy should no longer be a criminal offence.

Released in September, the Australian Human Rights Commission discussion paper sets out to examine the extent to which the right of freedom of religion and belief can be enjoyed in Australia.

The church's six-page submission said blasphemy should be made lawful.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
There you go. I had no idea that blasphemy is an offence. Lucky I never got arrested for speaking my mind, hey?

This is nothing more than posturing by the church, at best. If the law was never taken seriously, then who cares if it's abolished? They're not losing anything. In fact, it states in the article that there are still other 'vilification' laws in place to protect them.

I just wonder how the diversity of other religions in Australia will react. We can all probably think of one major religion that gets a bit touchy and defensive when anything is said, implied, thought or written about it.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
That's one of the problems I have with organised religions... all of them.

I personally don't care what god (or gods) someone worships. What I do object to is the religious types trying to push their beliefs on others and change the way others live to reflect their own religious beliefs or values.
Most of the biggest bigots I have ever come across have been religious followers who go out of their way to belittle others beliefs. I view religious belief as a personal thing and, while I may not agree with someone on their particular belief, I at least have the courtesy to not question it and allow them the comfort they take from their faith.

Even within the Christian church there are so many flavours, so many divergent groups who all claim to be the one true church and who criticise everyone who doesn't agree with their particular interpretation of the bible.
The same goes for ALL major religions of the world and it is this issue that has been the cause through the centuries of so much death and suffering.

join