It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google plans to make PCs history

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Now this is probably good, for video game files, and general system files and probably non-private media files, or maybe family pictures aren't that big of a deal, but you get my point.

This idea is terrible for operating system files, and it is terrible for video game files.

Now, in 2009, we know the NSA grabs 100% of all internet traffic. Simply sending information over the internet in any form potentially reveals it to authorities.

100%? I'd like to see that. Besides, not like they can search though it all.

Think of all those internet worms that open up ports on your computer for outside access. It is possible that non-trivial information stored on your computer has already been compromised.

Don't get worms then? It's not that hard.

If you're keeping anything vital on anything that you cannot readily physically remove from a PC you are kidding yourself as to its security.

The only people who are kidding themselves are those that believe computers are completely insecure, where hackers are always searching through your files and folders. Just because it's possible for a highly skilled hacker to get past a firewall doesn't mean it's happening...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This is nothing new.

There used to be a website, www.xdrive.com, that had online file storage.

They are now out of business, but there is a website called www.box.net that has replaced them.

There are probably others... I am feeling too lazy right now to look for them though.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
one could imagine that if they had these all set up and ready to roll out.. that they'd wait until say....

a massive solar flare storm that burns everybody's PC's ...

then offer these for severely low prices.

immediate changeover.

-

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
GREAT...does this mean that Google will fix up my telephone line out here in the sticks so I have guaranteed 24 hour access?

I doubt it!

Google may be all whistles and bells but they still can't think outside the google-box.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
So if somebody attacked this Gdrive with a virus of sorts, everyone would instantaneously get the virus, correct? Since every ones info is all stored in the same place technically, an attack on this one technology, is an attack on every persons personal information.

Sounds like a goldmine for hackers to steal stuff. Break into this vault, and every ones information is available to you.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
eh, I dont think this willl go anywhere. you still have to be able to access that data somehow whether its through a thin client or a PC. IT companies have been discussig the idea of using thin client computing (essentially returning to the days of mainframes and terminals) but I think this is just a fad. some users will need PCs in order to do certain things. alot of this virtualization and thin client computing stuff just isnt what its cracked up to be.

Besides, you think Dell and HP are wanting to give up a hardware market?

And I know some people dont want their stuff residing on a server off in never-never land. I dont think this is something to worry about, we'll come full circle again. We would of never gone to Server/PC architecture if the terminal/mainframe was more advantageous.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
What is this, pc centralization? Communism of the tech world? No thank you.

Google seems to be a focus of the NWO

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Not only google pushes for remote session terminals for consumer computer use.
I believe microsoft is planning on this for the future to.

There have been several test with pc games over here with some internet providers.
The whole game is hosted from the server and it included popular games like unreal tournament.

There are many commercial uses of this allready for businesses and governments.
The military is big into remote terminal sessions from what i heard.
This can just a easely done for consumers.

It is typical that these kind of bussinesses like google land government like to have a central stored and controled internet.

Personaly i like the idea of the internet and pc use as it is now, as a clustered swarm.

Dont buy into remote terminal sessions and maybe they will abandon their idea for consumers.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by jaamaan]

sty

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
well, i do not believe that the PC will be history. On the contrary, it will get more and more powerfull and more and more mobile. And for the data we upload on the internet: most of the people already uploaded way too much personal info..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join