It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on yoga for Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Ban on yoga for Muslims

www.news.com.au

MUSLIMS in Indonesia have been banned from doing yoga if they engage in Hindu religious rituals during the exercise, the chairman of the country's top Islamic body said.

About 700 clerics from the Indonesian Council of Ulemas (MUI) agreed on the action overnight at a national meeting in West Sumatra province, Ma'ruf Amin said by telephone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That's a clip from the news article. Allah must be easily offended if he's that worried about the human body bending in certain ways to worship another faith.

Later in the news article, there's a more interesting comment:

"As long as there is a candidate leader that meets criteria such as being Muslim, honest, brilliant and ready to fight for Indonesian people's aspirations, it is 'haram' for Muslims to abstain from voting," Mr Amin said.

But he said: "It is forbidden for Muslims to vote for a non-Muslim candidate leader."

How washed are their brains? Forget free will - you must vote and you must vote Muslim. Probably no different from Labor/Liberal, Dems/Repubs, etc.

However, the distinct difference here is that there is no separation of church and state. They're voting purely on religious grounds, which shows the grip that religion does have over the state.

I'm counting the years before there's enough Indonesian Muslims living in Australia. They'll all be instructed to vote Muslim... you can see where it's all going... whatever.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You care about your countries freedoms in the sight of the invading muslim armies.

I had that view here in the UK, don't worry you'll be branded a racist and forced to conform soon enough. Prepare your back for a whole lot of bending.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I've had several Christians accuse me of consorting with demons because I practice t'ai chi. Equally, think of how Dubya pandered to the fundamentalist vote...

It's not as if Muslims have a monopoly on ignorance, insularity and intolerance. They're pretty good at it, though, possibly beating the lunatic Christian fringe by a short head.

It's just too easy to bash them for it. What is that Bible saying about the mote in someone else's eye and the beam in one's own?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Anyone who wants to read the real story of the expansion of Jihad in Africa &into Europe.NEEDS to read "Jihad in the West by Paul Fregosi.1998.
Its shows the real danger islam presents&the results of people being brainwashed to endorce violence&bigotry in the name of a god.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
And Allah now sayeth, though shalt not be flexible or agile, nor shalt though partake in any exercise thereof! Mine good will is for though to be a fat couch potatoe...eth.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Don't mean to be a grinch but just for the record: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
One day I'm going to make a website called "Mohammad's Naughty List" and compile all this stupid, inane crap the Muslims decide is bad into one, easy-to-remember and utterly hilarious table.

You know, just incase you look at a full moon on the 10th of the month of a leap-year whilst wearing blue underwear and riding a unicycle. Allah frowns on that, y'know.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

UK Churches Call Yoga 'un-Christian', Ban Group

London

At a time when Indian yoga camps are spreading far and wide in Britain, two churches here have banned a group from conducting yoga classes because the ancient practice is allegedly "un-Christian".

The yoga class for children was to be run by Louise Woodstock at the Silver Street Baptist Church and St James' Church of England in Taunton, Somerset. But church ministers this week banned it and branded yoga as a "sham" and "un-Christian".

news.boloji.com...

What of it? Happens all the time even in the US. Churches and Mosque announce similar bans from time to time.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Perhaps they could try Christian Yoga:

www.christianresearchservice.com...

To The Last Man on Earth:

I'd suggest, if you do compile your list, to do it side-by-side with Christianity. I'd be genuinely curious to see which one comes out longer.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Perhaps these churches and Imams fear the enlightenment of their followers through the practice of yoga, and the consequent loss of power and authority they currently enjoy over their followers. After all, an enlightened, spiritually empowered person would have no need of their "spiritual" guidance.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Absolutely. Wilhelm Reich got slung out of the communist party because the people he treated tended to lose interest in politics and... get a life.

Similarly, Taoists neither proselytise nor persecute: I'd say that this is because they give people the tools to liberate themselves.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Could this backup further this thread??????????

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it banning trying tp acheive enlightenment then?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Do you think two wrongs make a right? I'm asking because you replied to the thread with an example from a christian church. Which, sadly enough, only proves a couple christian churches have taken a disliking to the practice of yoga. But what we have here is a council that speaks for the whole entire nation of Indonesia. Pretty big difference wouldn't you say?

This is the perfect example of power. The power of the religion of Islam over its flock. If they decide to ban something as trivial as Yoga then wait ten years and see what they're banning then. I imagine what would the world be like without Islam. If I way out all the pros and cons I can say that we would be better off without it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
There are Christian churches that ban Yoga. After all, Yoga is Hatha Yoga, the physical aspect of Raja Yoga, which is basically Buddhist meditation.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i rad an article & did reply post about it yesterday or the day before...

the article i read said that clerics went about all the local Yoga classes & organized Yoga teachers... for a Year... and compiled all the data and subjective observations->

the clerics deliberated... and came to a conclusion that any Yoga
which used Buddhist or Hindu chants or mantras...
(irregardless if it was for 'breathing' exercises)
the fact that the Yoga exercise promoted the Hindu Ideology
by chanting religious sayings or Mantras was devisive to Muslim 'Thought'

I agree... the phrases chanted during breathing while practising Yoga won't change someones religious life, but it has an 'appearance' of non-conformity with Islam & Muslim obedience.

hey, the clerics, don't have anything to say "YET", on Obama's proposed funding of global abortions... & it took the Indonesian Clerics overa year to
issue a fatwa on chanting Hindu slogans while doing Yoga...

but doing Yoga is still OK,

new topics

top topics

join