It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to look for at Gun Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm going to a "Crossroads of the West" gun show tomorrow and was hoping to get some advice here. I owned lots of long arms when I was young, but don't really know what to expect here in the morning. I am taking a few hundred dollars and my credit cards. Hoping to get a weapon for personal defense and target shooting. A 9mm, 10mm, or 40cal semi auto pistol is my quest, but I'm open to other small arms.

What should I look for at the show, I've never been to one before and not sure what to expect. It will be in Arizona and from what I've heard the laws here are the best in the Nation for buying firearms.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Highpoint
usually has a booth or a dealer, and with their low cost and dependability it might be worth you while to check em out, also used booths and dealers are sometimes good too, good luck.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I currently own a Kimbler 1911 compact .45 ACP, it performs well and is easy to carry. Second on my list would be a Glock 35, you can get 2 of these badboys and call yourself the Glockness Monster

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

The OP said there bringing " afew hundred bucks and credit cards" I don't think their in the market for a kimber or a glock.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

They didn't state the credit card balance
. Also it's a gunshow, at gunshows you can bargain. I do it all the time, got my Kimbler down from 700 to 580.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

^^just referencing this post, directed to OP...

Hi Point does make some good firearms regardless of their reputation. I owned a 9mm pistol and 995 carbine and never had any serious problems with them. The pistol is a little top heavy but that's because of the simple blowback design. Less moving parts than most other automatics. The only real issue with the hi points is the magazines. Sometimes they can be picky with the ammunition you use, but there's plenty of information out there on how to quickly remedy that. I didn't have that problem though... I did end up selling both of those to pay for my Springfield XD9 though, I just liked the way the XD felt in my hands better than most other pistols.

Best advice for choosing any weapon is find ones that are comfortable to hold first, then narrow down based on other choices... situations likely to be used in, calibers, concealable, things like that...

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Shaker]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thanks all, you made a difference in my choices. I was looking at local shops and was just wondering if gun shows were different price wise and how they work, ala waiting periods.

As per credit card, it's AmEx with no limit, so no worries there.
Although I don't know if they take them. I have access to cash, so it's all good. Just wondering about the time involved with actual purchase of a firearm at one of these things. Can I take it home, or will it be shipped to me? Also, what is the purchase process, lots of forms and such?

Btw, I'm looking at a Glock 9 or 10mm, XDm , or a possible 1911. It's for home protection and target shooting.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrwyzen777

I use a 9mm for target shooting and home protection because the ammo is relatively cheaper to come by so I can shoot more often. I've hear that a .40 caliber is best for defensive use as it has more put down power. 10mm will be very expensive to shoot.

If the gun show there is like how they have them where I live then you fill out the paperwork there, they make a call for a state background check and tell the dealer whether it's approved or not. If approved you pay them, and take your new firearm. Different states have different rules on how frequently you can buy handguns and some have waiting times up to a week I think... Here in Utah once the background check comes back good then I take my gun to their range, then home for a cleaning.

If it's a private seller, depending on the state, should only have to verify your age with a government issue ID. I think this is the "gun show loophole" that Obama and Biden want to close...

If you plan on using the pistol as a concealed carry then make sure it's compact enough and comfortable to handle... and also to shoot with it a lot so you get a good feel for it then for best control too.
Typically concealed carry will have around 10 rounds per magazine you have.

Even if you don't think you'd want to do any concealed carry, its a good idea to go through the class anyway at the very least. It's good information and they show you how to properly handle certain situations in case you have to use it. Usually having your carry permit shortens the background check as well.

Hunter safety classes sometimes come with free range time too.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Personally I'm a .45 guy, but it looks like the 5.7x28mm or FiveSeven might be a new round to consider.

It is gaining popularity at least, which always draws interest.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Shaker, thank you so much! You gave me what I was asking. It will help me alot in the next couple of days. From what I can tell, AZ is one of the most lienient states for gun laws. Hopefully I will be able to buy a nice firearm and defend myself and loved one with it.

Thanks again for your help Shaker!
Advisor, thanks for the tip, I'm planning on a 9mm or 40cal at this point. Looking for tons of ammo supplies. as we can't see the event horizon from here, but it's looming....

looming. what a word huh?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrwyzen777

Mrwyzen777,

I agree with what one of the other posters stated in that 9mm is pretty common and also cheap. 10mm ...forget it. Not everywhere carries it. It is also expensive. I know people who are wanting me to reload this 10 mm brass as it is so expensive. They should have considered this before they purchased.

Another consideration for you and your family in your purchase. Is this going to be a firearm you will want your woman to learn to shoot.?Consideration needs to be taken into account here as well if you want her to learn to use it. You don't want anything so powerful she becomes gun shy.
Also don't buy anything so light in weight that the recoil becomes extreme even in standard power shells. This is a concept often overlooked ....light weight means heavier recoil and often means women don't like them. That is ..if you want her to practice learning to shoot as well.

One other consideration. If you are talking about home protection you want reliability and dependability. It must fire when needed. Do not mistake a flashy pretty gun for one which is reliable. Check out the manufacturers reputations for reliability and dependability.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I have a glock 9mm. It's reliable, and accurate. And fairly exspensive. You can get hi point 45's online for $180. My first choice for home defence isn't the pistol - it's my shotgun. The pistol will work as a back up. Most pistols are underpowered, and if you ever need it, you are going to be under stress, panicking, adrenal glands and endocrine system thumping - A shotgun is a 1 shot stopper. Even if you miss in the comotion, the flash and noise should be enough to chase them off. You can get shotties for $200. Get a high point 45 and a shotty (less than the price of a decent glock or xd). Then you will have 2 guns, in 2 different places. What if you come in the house and there's an intruder between you and your bedside drawer where your pistol is? At least you have another choice with a second weapon in a different location, right. 9mm and 45 seem to balance each other out. 9mm is much quicker on follow up shots, and 45 delivers more punch. Either is good. Or even a 40S&W (in between the 2). Use a good quality brand JHP cartridge for home defense, and whatever you want for the range, but you have to range a number of times with the cartridge that you will be using at home, so you have a feel for it, and are confident with the ammo, and the gun. Keep the gun well hidden, don't use a lock, keep the magazine stocked and inserted, but don't chamber a round. If you need the pistol, you can quickly rack it into the chamber in .5 of a second. Trying to get a key and undo a lock when you're panicking can't be fun. Oh, and get a barrel cleaning kit for it.

And another thing: Almost all new pistols need 100-300 rounds through them for break in.
And if you can, get night sights for it. You don't want to be guessing where it is pointing.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by cruzion]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was planning on going to the same show, but missed out, there's another one down at the same location in February I believe.

So what did you pick up, or did nothing grab your fancy?

For a first time choice of "practicality versus cost versus quality", it's very difficult to avoid a Glock 17 or 19.

Here's a tip, whenever you walk up to a dealer's table, find a G17 or G19 and check the price, if it's significantly above $500 walk away, it it's exactly $500 start browsing, it it's below $500 start buying.

The G17/G19 represents the perfect pricing litmus test.

top topics

join