It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this true is America going to lose its guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I came across this article about US gun laws. I must admit I’m not up with US gun laws but it sounds suspicious.

It was tested then controlled down here (Australia) so I’m betting it will be tested in the US – sounds like the start of it.

snip

Under HR 45, if you can’t pass a complex test written by the U.S. Attorney General (described in detail below), pay the tax, give up fingerprints and a biometric-capable photo of yourself (that can be turned into a digital facial-recognition number and used as a de facto national ID), every gun you own will become contraband and subject to confiscation, while you stand trial before imprisonment.

Link Here

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's a true bill. Authored by a politician from Obama's home state no less.

Most of what the bill requires is already required by many states that issue concealed carry permits like mugshots, fingerprints, background check.

The biometric database crap is definitely reaching. There is no way that would work this early into the total police state. Maybe in another decade or so.

This is a bill representative of things to come. It wont get passed yet.

My concerns are with HR 1022. This bill is to reinstate the AWB. Something that has already passed once then expired. The reinstatement would come with more strict parameters and no expiration date making it essentially permanent.

Just because I dont expect HR45 to pass doesnt mean I'm ignoring it though. Any and all anti-2nd bills need to be shot down and that needs to be drilled into the heads of our supposed representatives.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

We had one small law after another passed down here. For example I remember when you could get some guns (not all) from kmart. Anyhow when the laws are in place it was just a matter for a incident to happen in our case someone on a rampage killing dozens of people. That caused outrage and the amnesty and hand over your fire arms came into being. Well actually it was cash for guns – bingo! truck loads were crushed.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm not convinced that any of this stuff is even going to make it out of the House. The Dems may have control there, but they've won a lot of seats in recent years by running conservative campaigns in traditionally Republican districts. Those representatives know what happened in '94 and I think a lot of them will shy away from supporting the Dem leadership if it ever comes to a vote and will side with the GOP.

Not only that, but I think that Obama will want to avoid it like the plague. I definitely believe he's a gun-grabber, but he only has a finite amount of political capital to expend and with much more pressing issues on the table, he can't really afford to take a beating over this one and inevitably, he would. He'd sign it if it crossed his desk, no doubt, but he's not going to be the one pushing it, I don't believe. So the issue will not have a powerful figurehead and instead, it'll probably be the almost universally hated Pelosi or Reid fronting the effort.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I used to have a gun but i lost it. I have no idea where it went and i dont even remember when i first noticed it missing because i have moved several times. Good luck with them confiscating what i dont have.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I'm not convinced that any of this stuff is even going to make it out of the House. The Dems may have control there, but they've won a lot of seats in recent years by running conservative campaigns in traditionally Republican districts.

HR1022 was authored by a (R) and is currently sponsored by only (R)'s. Four of them I believe.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I too, think that the Dems and even Obama are already worried about two years from now, and again, four years from now.

They already have enough problems to get blown out of the water so early.

Besides, push comes to shove, we gunowners may be able to organize a mass descent on Washington DC to make the million-man march a campfire gathering.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

Besides, push comes to shove, we gunowners may be able to organize a mass descent on Washington DC to make the million-man march a campfire gathering.

We didnt do that when Clinton signed the first AWB into law. We just grumbled and accepted it. The few who did resist are felons now.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Oh well
Looks like I will be in possession of illegal contriband - even though the Constitution guarantees me that right. My RIGHT to bear arms is not a privledge like driving, subject to the rules, whims and tactical diversions of the government.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Constitution? Rights? That's terrorist talk. You're a terrorist.

Dont you know it's just a G'D piece of paper anyway?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
HR1022 was authored by a (R) and is currently sponsored by only (R)'s. Four of them I believe.

That's not true. HR1022 was sponsored by Carolyn McCarthy of New York. It has 62 co-sponsors and at a quick glance, all appear to be Democrats.

Link

Certainly, though, there are a few notable gun grabbers in the GOP that are a concern. The Senate concerns me more in that regard than the House.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by vor78]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Just to add, it appears that there may be a little good news to report on the situation. The governor of New York chose Hillary Clinton's replacement today in the Senate and she's apparently the rarest of the rare: a pro-gun, female Democrat. Seems Kirsten Gillibrand is a very moderate Dem and is a well-known gun rights advocate in NY...she even has an NRA endorsement...and its all seriously pi$$ing off the party faithful in NYC. I love it.

Link

And unfortunately, I suspect that her Palin-ization at the hands of the media and her own party will begin shortly.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by vor78]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

My bad. I was thinking of the other AWB renewal bill HR 6257

Sponsor:

Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL]

Cosponsors [as of 2009-01-09]
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen [R-FL]
Rep. Michael Ferguson [R-NJ]
Rep. Christopher Shays [R-CT]
Rep. Michael Castle [R-DE]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That's one I was unaware of an unfortunately, it raises the possibility of the dreaded compromise. Sigh. Unfortunately, the GOP members of Congress are almost all rather spineless and I wouldn't be totally shocked if they backed something like that one as a 'compromise' bill instead of standing their ground against it completely.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
it raises the possibility of the dreaded compromise.

Yup. With bipartisanship all the rage and a President who is a guaranteed signature I believe there is more concern warranted than many gun-owners are willing to admit.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Republicans bill is the one that passed and they come off as the bad guys this time around just as the Democrats did last time.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The thin edge of the wedge.
Whittling away
One step at a time
Little by little

Well you guys get my point I’m sure. Once wheels are in motion they are harder to stop. The key is to stop the motion in the first place. I’m not a gun person myself to be perfectly honest but I have enjoyed using them in my time.

I don't live in the US and you can tell me to butt out if you wish. Truly guys you should plan your counter moves now rather than we’ll wait and see.

Anyhow my OP was just wondering if it was true or hearsay.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Suprised nobody has done this yet:
Link to HR 45
HR 45

Firearms covered in this are handguns and semi-automatic firearms.

Read the whole thing through and reach your own decision.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I dont think Obama will jump back on no guns band wagon till he is half way through his second election. If he tries it in his first term he will lose too many voters.
There is no way they could take all our guns away. Worst case scenario they would ban all handguns. We still have shotguns and rifles for hunting. They will never be able to take them away.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

Actually I don't remember handguns here but that’s the thin edge because everything is easy from there. Say hand guns are stopped (big job would take years) then you only wait until, like here someone kills a lot of people with an automatic.

Check out the link that’s what finished guns off here in Aussie

link

top topics

join