It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard to pick a side

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Now that the ceasefire has been announced I think that the peace process can begin again but will greatly damaged. I am no defender of Hamas, nor antisemitism, or even some of the basic tenets of Islam, but at the same time I am no fan of IDF, hiding behind antisemitism, or militarism. I think that the jews are (historically, ethnically, culturally, and religiously) a unique ethnic group and I am totally in favor of a strong, safe and independent Israel. But what does that cost us? What does it cost them? The Israeli's refuse to let go of Gaza and the West Bank. Why? Only Palestinians live there! The years of violence have destroyed any hope or reason or moderation on either side. The US funds Israels no matter what happens. We defend them even when our closest allies shrink away. Why? Is it worth all the conflict it creates with the Muslim world? This is why Osama hates us. Its not our freedom (although I sure he's no big fan of a lot of the other things we do) it our funding of Israel and military bases in Saudi Arabia. Osama is a terrible person, but he is simply like Hamas. The old Islamic world is breaking down and record speed. Governments are becoming pro-western or anti-western, secular or fundamentalist. There is no middle ground became when ever some one comes along to say something
reasonable then Hamas shoots them and the IDF does an airstrike on it.

I think the following is a completely reasonable set of statements.
1. Self defense and self preservation are fundamental human rights
2. Both sides have committed unprovoked and brutal acts, on civilian and military targets, during war and ceasefires
3. The Jews have a historical connection to the land of Israel, as do the Palestinians
4. The balance of power clearly is in Israel's favor. They have the money, allies, weapons and stability. The Palestinians are extremely poor, have a very small army, have limited support from other Islamic states and are suffering from constant infighting between the Fundamentalist Hamas and the center right Fatah. More Palestinians have died because of this conflicts then Israelis.
5. The ideology of fundamentalist Islam is very violent, regressive and hard to justify from a religious or human perspective. Zionism is not something to hide behind
6. The US, right or wrong has stood behind Israel
And Im going to go out on a limb here
7. A reasonable conclusion is going to make every one unhappy. I say West Bank and Gaza are an independent Palestinian nation, Israels gives back the Golan heights, and the UN or some other peace keeping organization keeps the peace
8. But I believe that neither side wants a compromise. Israel knows it has the power and weapons. Hamas knows that they are fighting a gurilla war, where they do not have to win, just not lose. The Israelis can kill every one in the west bank, but if the last one left alive is sympathetic to Hamas, then Hamas one. The Israelis are an unpopular occupying force in a radically different territory, using force and violence daily fighting against a popular guerrilla front.

Thanks for reading.
Please don't call me a terrorist. I know that by suggesting that Israel has flaws, even if I pointed out Hamas/Palestine's flaws I am going to strap C4 to my chest and blow up a hot dog factory or what ever you terrorist accusers think an "anti-semite" like me would do. Im not Muslim, Jewish, violent or personally involved in this so this is just what I think. No need to get personal.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't find it hard at all.

These wonderful Hamas people would gut you in a heartbeat (more like ransom, human shield, or public execution)... take the challenge, go visit Hamas as an ambassador of goodwill and peace ... They would LOVE to see you. Watch the kid shows... training hatred, murder and death.

Death, Death, Death

Death Hamas would love to bring to a city near you if they were capable.

Here is just a sample of PUBLIC BROADCAST TELEVISION.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

OK, Let's not be silly here... If this kind of crap happened to the US or UK we would take them out in much the same way if not much much worse.

And what do you think the Russians or Chinese would do? I have a pretty good idea.

What do you think the US or UK would do if someone were fragging US civilians.....all hell is going to break loose!

I find it hypocritical of those supporters in the US or UK who are screaming foul but if it was your family being hit by a foreign rockets how your attitude would change.

Sure Israel is going to use overwhelming firepower to limit THEIR casualties the same way the US or UK would.

Hamas is like Timothy McVeigh and his cohorts....Targeting civilians and paper-pushers that had nothing to do with their so called "beef" with the people who were involved with Waco... sickening.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by squidbones
Hard to pick a side

Why pick a side? Why not just let them pound the snot out of each other and get it over and done with once and for all? Then we don't have to hear about it anymore.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I dont like either side. I think I miss titled this article. I think that the problem is that people are forced to chose between Democratic Israel vs Terrorist Hamas or Militaristic Zionists vs Freedom Fighting Palestinians. I just think that all room for moderation has been destroyed by years of fighting.

And thank you all for not calling me terrorists.

top topics

join