It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar ice circle found in Devon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Polar ice circle found in Devon!

www.thesun.co.uk

BRITAIN’S barmy weather was spinning up another surprise yesterday with this rare rotating ice disc – normally only found in polar regions.
The freaky phenomenon was spotted by ramblers who saw the 10ft frozen circle as they took a stroll along the banks of the River Otter near Honiton, Devon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have never even heard of these before but if they are polar and Devon is not, then what is going on?!

I done a quick search and couldn't find anything other than more links to the original article.

Hopefully there are some knowledgeable folk on ATS who can help out and, more than likely, expose a mundane phenomenon.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well here's a link that explains a little more:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Seems like they might need certain strict conditions to form, so they're not very common, but they don't necessarily need arctic temperatures, -10 degrees Celsius is not sooo extreme.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
THE SUN ?????????
Need I say more?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Thanks for the link Wallachian.

Some good explanations/theories there

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

Well you should probably say more if you want people to know exactly what you're on about

Are you saying it is not real?

Or maybe the Met office didnt say anything about it being highly unusual?

Ok so The Sun reports some out there stories - but then you get the very same here on ATS no?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well I'm glad they found it and took pictures... I wouldn't of thought that was very special and I would probably of had an urge to toss rocks on to the centre - see how much it could hold before it broke! In my teenage years I did a lot of camping on the moors, if I knew I had plenty of dry clothes I would of probably tried to 'surf' it - get my self a piccy of me sitting in the middle.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It clearly means that manmade Global warming is real.. and its happening right now!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It is amazing how the global warming crew shut the hell up in the winter, isn't it? As in, when the UK has significant snow for the first time in years, and the temperature is sub-zero for weeks on end...strangely, people in Britain think "yeah, a couple of degrees hotter would be quite pleasant, thank you!"

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Uh - cool story, but not exactly what I was expecting. I had visions of a polar shift and the ice had started building up at the new pole, but alas it's just a piece of ice that fractured at some point and started spinning from the current, but couldn't escape the ice around it - thus it became a perfect circle in order to continue spinning.

Perhaps a neat phenomena that is limited to very cold regions where there are strong currents - but nothing more. Interesting, but not spectacular.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Uh - cool story, but not exactly what I was expecting. I had visions of a polar shift and the ice had started building up at the new pole

Exactly what I thought when I first saw the article, well, I thought they had found evidence that it used to be a pole at some point.

Still, it does have some officials perplexed and may yet prove to be an indicator of a colder climate moving in.

Not too sure what to make of all the global warming issue really. Saw Al Gore when he came to town and was quite impressed with the apparent facts and figures and indicators pointing toward a man-made problem.

I guess the question is if it is possible that man could adversly affect the globe then we should be doing something about it. Even if it is not our doing this time round.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
THE SUN ?????????
Need I say more?

*Yes, you need to say more.

MuunDoggie??????

Need I say more?

new topics

top topics

join