It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Detects Mystery Booming Sound In Deep Space, Origin Unknown!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

NASA Detects Mystery Booming Sound In Deep Space, Origin Unknown!

i.gizmodo.com

According to NASA, "the source of this cosmic radio background remains a mystery". It's not primordial stars, it's not any known radio source, and in fact, the problem here is that there is "not enough radio galaxies to account for the signal". In other words, nothing in the known cosmos is capable of producing this deafening sound. University of Maryland at College Park's Dale Fixsen—part of NASA's ARCADE team— says, that to get this kind of signal, "you'd have to pack [radio galaxies] into the universe like sardines. There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next". So in more scientific terms: They don't have a flying frak about what the hell this may be.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.sciencenews.org

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Interesting find by NASA!

Scientists also posted four reports online detailing their analyses and interpretation of the data at:

arxiv.org...
arxiv.org...
arxiv.org...
arxiv.org...

It is an interesting discovery and I hope we have some answers about where the sound could be coming from. (probably not Nibiru lol
)

Thanks for your time and I look forward to possibly hearing the comments of the ATS community on this one!

i.gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Interesting Op!

Ahh yes - I can see it now...

All the astrophysicists rubbing their hands together with KY Jelly thinking about all the grants they'll be applying for to create yet another new pseudo science to account for it!

Dark Sound perhaps?.. Whatever the case, I can't wait![/sarcasm]

IRM

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well I have to say, I was cranking my stereo up kind of loud last night while I was makin beats, but damn I didnt know it was that loud, I will try n turn it down, sorry mom.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
OMG, we had already I think 10 new topics since the first news ...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Maybe the sounds originate from the "unknown structures" that scientists say tug at our very universe!

I was hoping for more discussion on the topic, but I'm sure everyone has exhausted their energy repeating mantras about Israel/Hamas!

[edit on 13-1-2009 by IceColdPro]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I like the Dark Sound idea hehe. Very interesting data though, I only skimmed it lightly but generally being that I am not a astrologist all I can deduce is its a big place out there and while this radio signal is pretty much unreasonably obvious, there must be something generating it and in time with any hope we should discover origins or atleast develop theoreticals on how or why its transmitting so stronglly. Great find Pro!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Clearly it's the sonic boom of Nibiru

If you ever wondered what the sound of light sounds like...

This is it!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This could be the signature of our Creature just like the heartbeat of a human being. The question is what is the duration between booming sounds in space or is it constant?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is very nice find. However i do not understand why it should be shocking news to scientific community. Do they think that we have complete knowledge of universe, without any mistakes? It is impossible to fully understand this huge and incredibly complex thing that is universe. And it is more so to civilization that just got to traveling between planets - and still struggles with it. Ancient Greeks had full knowledge of Earth, even of Mediterranean? I do not know if we will ever get close to truth but right now we are so far from it that there is no need to be blown away by idea that some/all/important theories could be wrong. I think that they have to be wrong. More correct then older ones perhaps, but still wrong. So dear astrophysicists and co - you are doing great and important job, just do not trust your own theories too much. It is flowing sand we all stand on.
Universe - boom on.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is not a "sound". It is a widely distributed, high amplitude radio source. Radio noise. Static. It is not audible, it is not originating from a point location. It can be compared to Cosmic Microwave Background radiation.

By process of elimination, that leaves some unknown source — possibly the first generation of supermassive black holes or the first stars — from the early universe. The radio spectrum seen by ARCADE “is telling us that we’re actually seeing a signature from a period of time that we know very little about and are very interested in,” says Spergel. A more exotic, less likely possibility, he adds, is radio emission from some new type of elementary particle.

www.sciencenews.org...

[edit on 1/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Hahaahaha @ dark sound. Sounds like the answer to the old question of "What is the sound of one hand clapping?".

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm gonna guess Hammer of the Gods. Or maybe some alien teenager elsewhere in the Universe has slapped together one helluva stereo system. Either or.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It was Guglielmo Marconi trying to send the first morse code "S" from the heavens

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
basically it seems like we are recovering this find from a very distant time span far before man was even in any way shape or form a possibility....The most prominent suggestion available seems to be the chatter of some of the first stars or possibly super black holes....I'm thinking since its such a long time ago and the theories of the timespan in question offer virtually nothing in terms of information collected on it....it could very well be just the echos of a very very ancient time in the cosmos....

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Averysmallfoxx]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

Sub-space maybe?

Hey it is an actual astrophysical theory of an actual "sub-space" type dimension.Good thread.

top topics

join