It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulating Our Way to Rock Bottom (Ron Paul)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The results will be worsening economic woes until we learn our lesson. But instead Congress is behaving like drug addicts who must hit rock bottom before they are ready to face reality. They are playing foolish games with the economy now because they are thinking only of political expedience. This talk of job creation is a perfect example.

Contrary to the belief of many, the goal of the economy is not job creation. Jobs can be a sign of a healthy economy, as a high energy level can be a sign of a healthy body. But just as unhealthy substances can artificially give the addict that burst of energy that has nothing to do with health, artificially created jobs just exacerbate our problems. The goal of a healthy economy is productivity. Jobs are a positive outcome of that. A “job” could be to dig a hole one day, and fill it back up the next, or perhaps the equivalent at a desk. This does no one any good. But the value in that paycheck ultimately has to come from taxing someone productive. Some think this round-robin type of economic model is supposed to get us somewhere.

www.house.gov...,tx14_paul,blog,999,All,Item%20not%20found,ID=090112_2598,TEMPLATE=postingdetail.shtml

Found this article on the house.gov website.

Once again i believe he is right. I think they are going in the wrong direction. He also makes the correlation of our government to drug addicts which i think is a good comparison.

They cannot stop...even if they know that it's not good for them..or us...but one could make the argument that they don't give a damn about us anyway.

Every tidbit of info i hear or see from RP is always refreshing...because i believe it's truthful. What he stands for is something that i think many would support....if they only knew who he was....

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If the jobs are make-work, of course that's true. Strikes me that most financial jobs are white-collar make-work and that's part of why we're in this mess. But genuine jobs like repairing the infrastructure are not make-work jobs. They produce tangible economic results in the form of fewer accidents, speedier transport, and greater overall efficiency, plus secondary jobs spinoffs. This argument reminds me of the nearsighted fools who railed against all the money wasted "in space" on foolish projects like space stations.

They failed to realize that all the money was spent here on earth. Or rather, they knew very well it was spent here, it just wasn't going into things that put money into their pockets. Anyway, if, and that's a big if, the money is spent on well-paying jobs that repair, replace, improve or extend our infrastructure it might save the economy. Most business types don't care for this type of spending because it doesn't generate the financial sector make-work cashcows: mergers and acquisitions.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I just stated this in another post..but we are 53 trillion in debt. There are 330 million people in the US.

What's that equal? 160,000 per person. It's just a tad high for my tastes...especially since i did nothing to deserve it...nor did most other people in this country.

We are already taxed to death as it is....so what does that number mean? I'm making just over 30,000 grand a year...i'm not a wealthy guy...but i make it. I'm happy with the way i live...i don't need all the toys.

But looking at this number...it will take over 5 years of work to pay that debt. That is on top of what we already pay in now. How it could have ever gotten this bad is an embarrassment to me and should be to anyone else in this country.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I just stated this in another post..but we are 53 trillion in debt. There are 330 million people in the US.

What's that equal? 160,000 per person. It's just a tad high for my tastes...especially since i did nothing to deserve it...nor did most other people in this country.

We are already taxed to death as it is....so what does that number mean? I'm making just over 30,000 grand a year...i'm not a wealthy guy...but i make it. I'm happy with the way i live...i don't need all the toys.

But looking at this number...it will take over 5 years of work to pay that debt. That is on top of what we already pay in now. How it could have ever gotten this bad is an embarrassment to me and should be to anyone else in this country.

In a thread last month I mentioned that that is a bad way of looking at it, because only people who work are capable of paying down debt. The US has about 80 million workers. That is a debt load of $650,000 per worker, which is $26,000 per worker per year at a 4% interest rate. Of course most of the burden with the current system is on the rich so we have not gone bankrupt... yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
ahh dont worry about it. just print more money out... you'll be right

in 2010 america wil be broke or so. it will be a great depression. millions will be homeless.

you've got a second wave in the housing crisis coming.. Its just going to gt worse from here. and this next wave is bigger than the last.... it will peak in 2010...

new topics

top topics

join