It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally: Trojan Horse Attacks Mac OS X

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
URL: www.wired.com...

Now Apple users won't feel left out of the exclusive "DO I have to worry about this virus" club. Coming soon to a Mac near you, that MP3 file may not have Avril's latest release in it. It's payload may be more sinister.

"This is the first native Mac OS virus we've found," said Brian Davis, U.S. sales manager for Intego, a Mac security and privacy firm that discovered the Trojan.

Although benign, Intego warned that the code could be modified easily to do more meaner things.

"This is likely a test Trojan showing these things are possible," said Davis. "There's definitely an open door we don't want to leave open."

The last bastion of computer safety has been breached...

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I would dare say most of Apple's security was gained through obscurity, espeically when they made the leap to OS X. Kind of funny they mention how easily the proof-of-concept code can be changed to create a malicious virus, and you can bet your lunch money it will happen, and most likely fairly soon, as followups and mutations tend to keep right on the heals of the first one out of the gate. Hopefully this will finally open everyones eyes to the fact that no OS is inherently more secure than another, it all depends upon the user and/or admin to keep it locked down.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
As of yet this is just a proof of concept and has no malacious code, and I imagine Apple will release a security update to correct the problem soon.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
As of yet this is just a proof of concept and has no malacious code, and I imagine Apple will release a security update to correct the problem soon.

Lets hope, and even if they do there is no guarantee that the hole will be completely plugged up, since MS issued their first patch for DCOM and like a week later another exploit was developed that rendered the patch useless I believe. Also while this may just be a POC to the public, there could be some nasty group out there whos known about it and just hasnt said anything, as tends to be the trend now adays.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale

Does Apple even have a security response team? Oops, looks like they just started hiring for the job: seclists.org...

Too late, someone somewhere has already taken this POC and made it malicious. That's human nature.

Pardon the sarcasm in my posts on this thread but I was so tired of the people who said Apples were the safest computers because there's never any viruses targeting them. Your time is up....

top topics

join