It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does being a survivalist mean to you ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
To me being a survivalist means, being able to look after me and my own for any extended period of time.

Having a skills to adapt to ever changing environments.

Being a survivor to me means having the ability to stay or go depending on the type of situation you face.

Learning new skills and building trusted relationships with like minder people who don't think you have been smoking a funny substance.

Passing on skills to people who are willing to learn and are of the same mindset.

I see alot of survivalists on this forum alone, some are ready for anything some are still preparing, some are just fantasists who like the idea of them against the world.

What does being a survivor mean to you ??????

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hmmm... to me it would be recognizing and accessing threats, prioritizing the possibilities of each and developing / implementing a plan for the long term well being of your family / extended family.

It is impossible (unless your extremely wealthy) to prepare for any possible situation. I have to weigh the likely hood of each scenario and plan for the the most "probable".

Most of these dictate setting up shop underground and concealed as most of the scenarios I believe are most probable consists of disasters that interrupt the power grid and or transportation which would cause nationwide chaos as most of our population doesn't even have 2 weeks worth of food on hand.

Also, this plan is good for most "disasters" barring flood, earthquakes, or extinction scenarios that are far lower in the risk assessment list.

So, threat assessment and pre-planning defines survival in my point of view.... running to the woods (in most places) with a rifle and a bag or 2 is not my idea of survival since there will be a bunch of people with the same idea and some of them not so nice... you may soon find that the environment in the boonies is as lawless and dangerous as an urban area.

Living at or walking distance to a pre-planned underground shelter is the best option in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
To me being a survivalist is being prepared, and as the above poster has said, risk assessment. My priorities are to me and my family. Risk Assessment is the number one priority to being a survivalist. From looking both ways when crossing the road to being aware of "local" chemical plants etc, or other potential hazards near to where you live or work. This is regardless of living in a city or rural position, it is all about having your eyes and your mind open and planning for any likely incident. Just remember there is no such thing as low risk. Everything is either high risk or unknown risk.
I need to provide security and essentials to my family no matter what is or isnt happening in the world, and by having a "fluid plan" that changes with circumstances.

Regards

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
To me being a survivalist is being human. Its what we do nothing more nothing less. Its not the most thought provoking answer out there but its how I honestly feel. Its just the natural thing to do.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by angryamerican]

top topics

join