It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google search finds missing child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Google search finds missing child

news.bbc.co.uk

A nine-year-old girl, allegedly kidnapped by her grandmother, has been found using a mobile phone signal and Google Street View.

Since 2005, US law says that mobile phone providers must be able to locate 67% of callers within 100 metres and 95% of callers within 300 meters.

This requirement has led to GPS capability in most new mobile phones in the US.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This article highlights the fact that in the US it is the law that mobile phone providers must hold location information on all of their mobile phone users.

The mobile phone providers must surrender this information to law enforcement on request.

How on earth did a nation marketing itself as the land of the free allow such a bill to be passed into law? If this isn't big brother then I don't know what is.

The government DO NOT have a right to know my location. I am not a criminal and I do not wish to be treated like one.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: I don't wish to sound like I think it is a bad thing the girl was found this way - my point is that this should have been an exceptional circumstance that might warrant such an intrusion into privacy - with the parents permission to access the location information. It shouldn't be that the government have free access to this information without permission/a warrant.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Dutty_Rag]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Its the same question of..."who reads the instruction manual or lables"??

2nd line.

Cheers!!!!

join