It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of speech....HA not anymore.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Just read this! A load of old bollox.
If you watching a DVD you'll already be aware of it's contents, infact you'll be buying it because you want the sex and violance.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Britman]

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Britman]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It says the page was not found.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

So I can almost guarantee it's true. Only at Wal-Mart.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Talk about lame...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
"Wal-Mart, the country's mightiest retailer, is preparing to ship a $79 DVD player that automatically strips out potentially offensive content."

So classics like Apocalypse Now would be what? About ten minutes long. Who is deciding on the definition of offensive?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't really see the problem with this. It's not like every DVD player has this, just that one. So parents could opt to get it to make sure their kids aren't watching things they don't want them to. Am I just missing something here? Seems pretty harmless.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I get very tired of hearing about "offensive content."

I am offended that people are so incredibly stupid that they can't simply change the channel if something offends them. Can we get some regulations on stupid people?...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

LOL! Mrs. Robinson...

Looks like even the classics are at risk. At least no one is forcing us to buy this thing. I say, so long as there's a market for the machine, let it be sold.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Why would that be against freedom of speech?

Does it say in that article that those dvd players are going to be the only ones people can buy?

I am sure many parents out there would love to have one of these in their living room, for their children, while having another dvd player without this technology for them.

This is just another choice people have, it is in no way restraining freedom of speech.

You can be sure that if I had a daughter or son younger than 18 i would be using one of those dvds for them. Does it mean I would not talk about sex with them when they ask? no, I would deal with it when the time comes. But i wouldn't want my children to be raised watching sex scenes.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The gadget, made by French-owned RCA, aims to tap into mounting concern in the US about media standards.

Why does that not seem surprising to me, at all?

If they start censoring my beloved action and horror flicks, I'm going to be pissed...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Once again, I see it as another choice people will have, not as censorship.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Don't we have enough choices already? I mean seriously. How hard is it to turn the channel, turn off or tune out? The company that made this player could give a damn about values unless there are numbers behind it...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don't see how this is an attack on free speech. I do think it's a great tool for parents. As a parent, stuff like this interests me a lot.

And, this may actually help protect free speech, giving the end user more tools to choose what content they want to keep out of their homes as opposed to the bureaucrats deciding for them.

top topics

join