It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knee Jerk Reactions to War in Gaza?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder why we choose to be emotional in our posts rather than analytical in our approach to the war in Gaza. Is it because we are unable to separate a picture or video from an article? Is that the image we see overpowers the message we read? What is it exactly that is causing us to respond to each others posts with knee jerk reactions?

Pictures and Videos- Many of the articles I have seen as of late have articles or videos attached to them. However, I have noticed that many of these pics and videos do not correspond with the article it comes with. The pic/pics and video usually are of a graphic manner and no doubt stirs one's emotions when viewed.Unfortunately, the pics or videos seldom gives the viewers the facts.

The pics/vids often lack the time frame, which side caused the injuries, what building or house we are seeing, and other pertinent information that could help described the pic/vid more factually. We really need to analyze these pics and videos more carefully to reach a more logical conclusion. We all know that the media is famous for sensationalizing the news and this may be one method they are using to do so. The more emotions they stir, the higher the ratings (sales).

Articles- Many articles are being taken as fact, when in reality they may be a part of a propaganda war that is being waged by all sides. Even sides that are not directly involved in the war. Many of these articles lack sources, accredit quotes to anonymous sources, are opinionated, are second hand stories, or stories that are rushed out prematurely before all the facts are in. Of course, there are many other possible ways a story could be misleading. We need to challenge ourselves to analyze these articles thoroughly to reach the facts and post the facts even if the facts go against whatever side we are on.

I really think that we are responding, for the most part, to this war or crisis in Gaza in an emotional state due to the horrific images or news we have heard or seen over the last two weeks. An emotional state can create anger, confusion, frustration, desperation, and hate and many of these states of emotions have been evident in our responses to our fellow ATS members.

The choice is ours to make, we can be emotional in our response due to the things we see, hear, or read or we can be analytical and analyze the pic, video, or article for a true factual picture of what is transpiring in Gaza. It serves no purpose to throw out knee jerk reactions and further muddle the water as to what is truly happening in Gaza. We are not the ones in danger, we are not the ones being fired upon, and we are not the ones in the middle of hell. Let's think about our response and try to be as factual and courteous as we should be.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Simply put, they're are two sides: those that hate Jews and those that don't.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Founding

oh get out of here what a crock. there are many jews against this war. do they hate jews? i believe that is the most ignorant thing ive read all day.

what about :
simply put there are those who love war and those that dont. that sounds much more accurate.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

What's ignorant is you not reading the first part of this thread. And that is what my response is to.

Funny you just proved my point. I'm guessing your on the Palestinan/Hamas side of the debate. Why else would you scavenger through threads looking to pick a fight. Then you obviously scrolled down, did not even bother to read Jam's cry for objectivity, and pulled out the victims card crying about ignorance. Grow up

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Founding

i did read the first part. he is talking about peoples reactions in the media, and then you said the simply put part. im sorry i dont see how that relates to anything, and if you were joking or something i have seen people say that exact thing and were serious.

and im not on anyones side. i dont like war. is that hard to understand? hamas is stupid the israeli government is stupid its the civilians on both sides whos side im on.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I can't help but wonder why we choose to be emotional in our posts rather than analytical in our approach to the war in Gaza..........

........ we can be emotional in our response due to the things we see, hear, or read or we can be analytical and analyze the pic, video, or article for a true factual picture of what is transpiring in Gaza. It serves no purpose to throw out knee jerk reactions and further muddle the water as to what is truly happening in Gaza. We are not the ones in danger, we are not the ones being fired upon, and we are not the ones in the middle of hell. Let's think about our response and try to be as factual and courteous as we should be.

Apathy can be as dangerous a force as fanaticism .

But i take your point , ATS of late seems to amplify the dichotomy of views.
Positions have been taken !!!

But in truth , upon examination of each "side",one notices it comprises of many differing opinions which overall take on a pro Palestinian or pro Israeli "label".

Concision in the media leads to jingoism.
The answer to this conflict will not fit between commercial breaks.
If we were to be honest with ourselves ..... we must unhitch our minds from group think.
I may agree with what somebody says ......but that doesn`t mean i agree with everything he will say in the future.
Just a thought.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by UmbraSumus];edit/spelling

[edit on 7-1-2009 by UmbraSumus]

new topics

top topics

join