It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick philisophy question about the book "The Road"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
For those of you that havent read this book a loose plot would be that something untold happen in the US, and ended up basically sending the earth into a downward spiral. No animals are alive, the humans roam around looking for other humans to eat, rape and force into slavery. Basically, the beginning of the end of the world. The story focuses on a man and his young child trying to make it to the west coast. The man believes that there is something there that will save him and the boy (its not mentioned in the book too much, just vaguely). Oh, he has a revolver, it only has 2 shots in the pistol also.

So my question is...

Would would be the morally right thing to do??

Kill your son, to save him from the unseen horrors (cannibals, rapists, slave traders, you name it), not knowing if salvation, or damnation is around the next turn?

Or let the boy live, possibly getting yourself killed to defend your son, and having him be prey to the "bad guys" as the book put it?

I have been done with the book for awhile, and Im stuck on this one thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Did you read or see Stephen King's the Mist?

Well...anyway, I don't think I'd have the heart to blow my child's brains out, and my natural optimism would make me think we'd make it through.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

no i havent seen or read it, i remember the trailers though, with uhm nicole kidman right?

join