It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Anthony de Mello" Rediscovering Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Didn’t really know where to post this as the discussion on the subject of “Awarness” can head it all sorts of directions. Mods please move it necessary

A Little on Anthony de Mello

Until his sudden death on June 2, 1987, Fr. Tony de Mello was the director
of the Sadhana Institute of Pastoral Counseling near Poona, India.
Author of five best selling books, renowned worldwide for his
workshops, retreats, and prayer courses, he aimed simply to teach people
HOW TO PRAY, how to WAKE UP AND LIVE.

Most people, he maintained, are asleep. They need to wake up,
open up their eyes, see what is real, both inside and outside of themselves.
The greatest human gift is to be aware, to be in touch with oneself,
one's body, mind, feelings, thoughts, sensations.

Here are some of his typical challenges: "Come home yourself!
Come back to your senses! Do you hear that bird sing?
How can you hear the song and not hear the singer?
How can you see the wave and not see the ocean?
How can you see the dance and not see the dancer?"Source

A spiritual Healer I know gave a friend of mine a load of books the healer said to me “Have a look through them I am sure you will find what you are after”One particular book really caught my eye it was “Awareness by Anthony De Mallo” it’s funny really because Awareness was the very thing I was searching for but I wanted to understand more about it. I could have just read the book straight away but something didn’t feel right, was I really ready to change. Anyway after several months of searching and getting myself confused, lost and sometimes upset because I felt like I was getting nowhere I decided to pick up the book.

I don’t think it’s an accident that this book found its way to me, I don’t think it’s an accident that I picked up the book to read it when I did. If I would have read the book straight away it would have meant nothing, because I was too lost in my own mind and my own beliefs to listen to what was being said. I would have denied what was being said because I would not have wanted the change; it would have been out of my comfort zone.

It was only the other night I started to read the book and I just had to laugh at how much of an ass I have been, how blind I have been and how crazy I have been. Without going on too much reading this book has made me feel brilliant about leaving my comfort zone and dropping everything I think I know about the truth and so forth.

I did a YouTube search and found a brilliant workshop video of Anthony De Mallo, it’s called rediscovering life. I did and ATS search and it came up with nothing, so though I would share his wisdom and very wise words. He puts his word across in a very positive way with good humor, it’s there for everyone whatever beliefs or religion.

The video is split into a few parts.

Video 1 - 5 parts

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Video 2 - 6 Parts

Video 3 - 8 Parts

Video 4 - 5 parts

Sorry the last 2 would only work with direct Youtube links. Hope the videos are as much help to you as they are to me.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by psycho81

Most people, he maintained, are asleep. They need to wake up,
open up their eyes, see what is real, both inside and outside of themselves.
The greatest human gift is to be aware, to be in touch with oneself,
one's body, mind, feelings, thoughts, sensations.

Here are some of his typical challenges: "Come home yourself!
Come back to your senses! Do you hear that bird sing?
How can you hear the song and not hear the singer?
How can you see the wave and not see the ocean?
How can you see the dance and not see the dancer?"Source

A spiritual Healer I know gave a friend of mine a load of books the healer said to me “Have a look through them I am sure you will find what you are after”

Hi . Nice post, sorry I cant open the videos, but it doesnt matter as I can see the message.

I totally agree the greatest gift we can ever have it to become aware. To be totally aware of our self, our world, our reality our TRUE reality must be a wonderful state to achieve. I would take this over many other so called gifts.

For us as people to be 100% in touch with our hearts, minds, feelings and thoughts is not an easy thing to achieve. Sure many of us are more aware than some but I think few are TOTALLY aware. I know Im not but would like to be.

So many of us try to "find ourselves", we go down this path of self discovery as you say reading books, looking at U tube enlightening videos, trying meditation and generally trying anything we can to try and discover our self spiritually and physically. However do you not think that while on this self discovery path we can actually forget who we actually are and after months of trying to enlighten ourselves we find we were more alive before we tryed to find ourselves?

I read somwhere that Buddha spent 7 long hard years trying to find enlightenment, he then stopped trying and found it.

Not sure what your thoughts are on this.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

For us as people to be 100% in touch with our hearts, minds, feelings and thoughts is not an easy thing to achieve. Sure many of us are more aware than some but I think few are TOTALLY aware. I know I’m not but would like to be.

I know the feeling but day by day I am becoming more aware, it is hard because of how we have been conditioned through our cultures and so forth, not to mention the obstacles facing us due to the state of economy and other obstacles we may face. I look at it this way, when I am not aware of the present moment “What’s distracting me” another way of putting it is be aware of when you are not aware. Self observation means being in the present moment.

we go down this path of self discovery as you say reading books, looking at U tube enlightening videos, trying meditation and generally trying anything we can to try and discover our self spiritually and physically

It depends how you see the books, internet, and meditations. Is it information to learn how to observer yourself more, or is it a religious belief or new age belief to tell you who you are and give you false hope. Once that hope is lost we look for something or someone to blame, but wasn’t it due to our own judgment and trust in the first place.

I read somwhere that Buddha spent 7 long hard years trying to find enlightenment, he then stopped trying and found it.

Maybe he spent 7 years thinking about enlightenment; once he stopped thinking he became enlightened.

Thanks for the reply MG I’m glad you understand and are on the same wavelength as me. This is not about helping people no more for me as I can’t help people it’s out of my power. This topic was nothing other than me sharing a video, its better this way. I actually find it hard to post on ATS now; it took me ages to think of what to say when posting the video. I was just going to post the clips but didn’t think it was allowed, the only reason I find it hard to post is because I don’t want people to put their trust in me. I want them to keep all their trust in their self, if they put trust in me and believe in everything I say then my words are nothing more than manipulation. It soon becomes easy to reflect my beliefs on another person just so they agree with what I believe in.

So my ATS posting will be at a minimum, not because I don’t like ATS or anything like that. Simply because I don’t know what to say hehe, gues I am becoming more and more aware of my ego. If you do get change to watch the videos I’m sure you will appreciate Anthony de Mello’s work.

I feel more in touch with reality when I talk with you MG, gone have the days when we were full of light lightsabers and skipping ropes

[edit on 7-1-2009 by psycho81]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by psycho81

Thanks for the reply MG I’m glad you understand and are on the same wavelength as me. This is not about helping people no more for me as I can’t help people it’s out of my power. This topic was nothing other than me sharing a video, its better this way. I actually find it hard to post on ATS now; it took me ages to think of what to say when posting the video. I was just going to post the clips but didn’t think it was allowed, the only reason I find it hard to post is because I don’t want people to put their trust in me. I want them to keep all their trust in their self, if they put trust in me and believe in everything I say then my words are nothing more than manipulation. It soon becomes easy to reflect my beliefs on another person just so they agree with what I believe in.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by psycho81]

Very difficult balance to achieve, your not alone in this Im sure. It is so easy to pass the point of being interested in what another has to say into becoming dependant on them for your spiritual growth. Once this point is passed, many find it difficult to return from. Ive been guilty of becoming too obsessed with people views and followed their every word. I do not do it now, I listen but ALWAYS maintain an air of question about what they are saying. My mantra to myself is "Nobody knows everything about everything, nobody"

"I feel more in touch with reality when I talk with you MG, gone have the days when we were full of light lightsabers and skipping ropes
"

Oh wow how exciting does that sound, me full of lightsabers...
Id love to travel the Universe with one!

Thanks for the thread its got a good vibe about it.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

There was a time I came top of the class when it came to being obsessed with people views (hehe not too long ago), that’s until there was a disagreement somewhere and I acted immature and lost trust in people and the best part “I blamed them” I even became upset and “blamed them again” or better still blamed my upset on the world.

Bottom line I was an immature ass, becoming aware is becoming mature. It is hard to attain awareness 100% of the time, but the more time you spend being aware the more powerful the awareness becomes. The hardest part is when we get the whole negativity thing, you know when we go into compulsive thinking “I was doing so well and now look at me I’m angry and upset” yup we all get that one. Negativity comes and goes, just as darkness comes and goes; if you don’t like the darkness then you just got to turn the light on.

top topics

join