It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal Research Standards - I need some help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hello everyone!

I haven't properly introduced myself but I am from Canada and have studied paranormal/anomalous phenomenon for quite a number of years for my own interest.

My question is if anyone here could help me find a guide of ethics or standards for research in the paranomal, especially regarding UFOs, but not limited to them. I am looking for reputable sources that can outline sound research techniques and analytical skills.

For example: I found that MUFON requires training for their field investigators...

Before engaging in actual investigation stemming from a UFO report, the Field Investigator Trainee needs a thorough grounding in the following areas:

• Investigative Ethics. Most importantly, the Trainee must understand and adhere to the tenet of anonymity (withholding witness identifiers from persons who are not part of the UFO report investigation or its evaluation within MUFON).

• Interviewing Methods. Preparation, controlling the setting, the sequence of obtaining a complete account, recognizing sensory perceptions, analyzing witness body language, active listening, interpreting the oral account, and drawing conclusions are all vitally important.

• Collateral Contacts. In a given circumstance, the Trainee must be aware of which public officials and/or others to contact in order to potentially resolve the report as a misperception, determine the person’s reliability as a witness, or identify others who may have witnessed and reported the same event.

• Technical Background. A working knowledge should be conveyed to the Trainee on the subjects of weather anomalies, astronomy, conventional aircraft (especially lighting configurations), space satellites, photographic equipment and methods, and the soil sciences.

Unfortunately, I need to get thier field guide in order to get more details. I am planning to do this. In the meantime, this is what I am looking for but with more details and from other sources with an emphasis on high standards.

Thanks for having this lovely community here and I shall be looking forward to future discussions with you all.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I agree with you that the MUFON manual is a good start for investigative standards with UFO's. As far as paranormal activity I know of a few forums that you can go to to speak with paranormal investigators about their methods if no one on ATS can help you. There are quite a few members here who have experience in the field. If you need the other sites please U2U me and I will give them to you as I will not use ATS to promote another message board. The member fooffstarr has done quite a bit of paranormal research, I'm sure he can answer some questions for you.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Thank you, ShAuNmAn-X. Unfortunately, I need to have a 20 post minimum in order to use the U2U functions. Perhaps, you can message me with links to those fora? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I think that I have posted this question the wrong forum. Is is possible to move it?

join