It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sociopathy and Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I just read a book about sociopaths that goes in to great detail about what exactly a psychopath is, how they think, and how they act.

Basically, the psychologist that wrote the book (she specialized in sociopathy) described sociopathy as a condition of a human lacking a soul. They know what right and wrong is because they're intelligent enough to learn the laws of the land. However, inwardly, they have absolutely no regard for right and wrong, and would flagrantly violate every law if it would benefit them and they could ensure they wouldn't receive punishment. Is it their fault? Not really, their brain just works that way.

They have no ability to empathize with others, and any appearance that they might be doing so is only an act because to do otherwise would draw attention to themselves.

Some examples of this disregard are reckless disregard for the safety of themselves or others, failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, deceitfulness such as repeated lying or deceit for personal profit or pleasure, and lack of remorse for actions that hurt other people in any way.

Source

Sociopathy might be a little more common than you think: approximately 1 out of 25 people have 'no soul'. There are no effective treatments, therapeutic or medicinal, that can cure sociopathy. Psychologists believe that sociopathy has a hereditary tendency, but it can also be acquired in early childhood.

Now, how can religion accept this? Spiritually, most religions believe every human being has a soul. Medically, we know that some people are born without this soul, or it's warped in such a horrific way that it shuts off from the mind of the person. No one can cure it or treat it, and the sociopath never chose to be affected by it.

How do you save someone's soul when they have none? Are they doomed to damnation from the start? How can a soulless being reincarnate? Why would a creator make something so predatory and evil, or why would a creator allow something evil to make something like an unborn child so inherently wrong?

Remember, sociopaths can never truly be sorry about their actions towards others. Their brain can't physically be sorry for their sins, because in a sociopath's mind they are always justified.

With 1 out of 25 affected, globally that's a lot of people without a soul. I'd be interested to know what you guys think and how religion can accept the fact that some have no souls...or if religion even would accept it.

Thanks for your time

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have a soul,
It's colour, gold.

I think it's about people who can emotionally not relate. I want to watch this, well set up, I'll star you.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thank you for raising the subject of Sociopathy and religion! Without you I would not have joined these forums. Sociopaths are of an extreme interest of mine. I would disagree that Sociopaths do have souls but are not conscious of their conscience. God creates boils, small pox, and the black death. Given this why not create sociopaths? In many religions so many lifeforms have souls why not sociopaths?

Sociopaths seem to typically want you to forget the important things and focus on them. This is like the main purpose of Maya and one of many purposes of Shiva. (Hinduism)

That whatever presentation and whatever allurements Maya puts before us, we accept them to be real. We take it - what it appears to be. But a devotee, a jnani and a bhakta they must discriminate and understand whatever presentation Maya puts before us, it is not what it appears to be.

new topics

join