It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA rocket contract launches SpaceX into the big time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

NASA rocket contract launches SpaceX into the big time

www.latimes.com

In a major boost to Southern California's aerospace industry, a Hawthorne start-up founded by an Internet entrepreneur has been awarded a NASA contract potentially worth $3.1 billion to lift supplies to the International Space Station.

Space Exploration Technologies, also known as SpaceX, beat out aerospace behemoths Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co. for the contract to build rockets that would replace the space shuttle when it is slated for retirement in 2010.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.bizjournals.com
uk.reuters.com
online.wsj.com

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I didn't see this posted yet, if it was I need to practice my search skills. I find it a hopeful that the US has not been counted out of the space race yet. I also find it great that NASA is finally letting Corporate Americia try out the whole Space thing.

It looks like Space Exploration Technologies and Orbital Sciences Corp get to make rockets and finally get to prove that the commercial industry can prove they have what it takes to keep us in the race or can they? It seems that the dead line is 2010 for SpaceX's first rocket launch to refuel the space station and with 3 failures before a good launch I hope they get the job done.

So what do you all think is it about time the commercial industry gets this chance?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Its neat that private endeavors will start to get a foothold into the commercializing of space.

However, it also shows that the proposed NASA cutbacks are going to be a reality and it shows that any real future space exploration efforts are in jeapordy.

Unless the private sector expands into exploration and delivering supplies to ISS, the planned return to the moon and on to mars projects are grounded for sure. Not good!

Thanks for posting this info!!

HO HO HO!!!!

join