It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinning water droplets behave like black holes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

WHAT does a drop of water have in common with a black hole and an atom? Well, levitating water droplets can now simulate the dynamics of both cosmological and subatomic objects.

Richard Hill and Laurence Eaves at the University of Nottingham, UK, turned to water droplets because the surface tension that holds the drops together can be used to model other forces. For example, the event horizon of a black hole is sometimes thought of as a "stretched" membrane with a surface tension. Similar forces also prevent atoms from flying apart.

The team levitated the droplets using an effect called diamagnetism: when an external magnetic field was applied to the droplets, they created their own opposing magnetic field, initiating a repulsive force strong enough to counteract gravity. To set the droplets spinning, they implanted two tiny electrodes, which generated an electric field.

"The breakthrough in this work is the ability to reproduce, in a simple table-top experiment, 100 years of theoretical work in fluid dynamics," says Vitor Cardoso of the University of Mississippi.

Source

This is really awesome, check out the video in the link. The water droplet takes on the form of a Triangle, Square, or Pentagon depending on the speed of the spin. I remember reading about fluid dynamics when researching the hexagon on saturn, really cool stuff

[edit: added picture]

[edit on 18-12-2008 by enduser]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Star and flag
That sounds really cool.I really have no clue but if they could levitate it then holy effin poo poo!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Much to their surprise, when the one-centimeter diameter droplets achieved rotational velocities of some three revolutions every second, their shape, as viewed from straight above, turned into that of a triangle, similar to the form of some objects in the Kuiper Belt. It’s the first time this phenomenon has been observed or created in a laboratory. Source

I was under the impression that scientists had created and observed this kind of phenomena in a lab before
I remember reading research on it last year, unless that was done by an engineer or something. Any ideas?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
this puzzles me...

in this experiment scientists use electricity, but astrophysics exclude any electric influence on space objects... if there is no electric influence on black holes, how can water droplets behave like black holes?

the other question is, how can scientists know the behavior of a black hole? ...to my knowledge there is no direct proof of a black hole whatsoever (just like 'black matter'), black holes are just a THEORY...

but, yes, this is an amazing experiment...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I believe there is much proof of blackholes, the US during the cold war detected massive gamma ray bursts occurring out in space, believing it was the USSR testing nukes on the far side of the moon. Turns out these blasts were so powerful they broke the famous formular e=mc2 and were occurring all over the place, spread out and not along the galactic plane.

After careful thought, the only way such powerful blasts could exist without breaking e=mc2 was if the gamma ray bursts were focused into a beam and not spread out radiating in all directions. The only thing that could cause this (other than advanced aliens lol) were blackholes.

There is more evidence but thats one of the more interesting ones ive come across
btw, im sure there are many many charged particles in space, space is far from empty lol the sun sends out solar radiation, plasma and all sorts

[edited typo]

[edit on 21-12-2008 by enduser]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Interesting! They can spin water dropplets and levitate them and make them change shape!!

Oh boy..so when is the introduction of anti-gravity, free energy and warp drive gonna come out?

Seriously tho, its quite confusing that this is any example of what a black hole or celestrial activity is based on and how it works.

The magnetic properties may explain it, but the electrical end of it doesnt.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

The magnetic properties may explain it, but the electrical end of it doesnt.

Can you have magnetism without electricity? im sure they call it electromagnetism for a reason lol
and i dont believe they consider spinning water to be exactly like a blackhole but they can obtain data of the behaviour of water and extrapolate that data, apply new parameters, increase intensity of gravity et al using computer modules. Wont be exact but a best guess until there are other means and more reliable data to go by. Who knows, im no scientist

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
considering the black holes, it's like claiming: there is a rabbit in the bush (but the truth is there is a bear in the bush, because you don't see what really is in the bush)

...in the first step, gravity is the only tool considered. For example, from a graduate textbook on astrophysics*: “No known physical force can stop the self-swallowing of mass that makes a black hole.” That is a model-dependent declaration. The force of gravity is effectively zero when compared to the electric force. If you allow for the electrical structure of matter, the almost 2,000 fold difference in mass of the electron and proton will ensure that in a strong gravitational field charge separation will operate to prevent compression. Charge separation prevents the collapse of stars. Exotic theoretical objects like neutron stars and black holes are impossible. Even internal nuclear fires are unnecessary to sustain a star. The standard model of stars fails if the wrong tool, gravity, is used exclusively.

and this:

But most damning is that the narrow training of astrophysicists does not allow them to “see” the powerful electric discharge effects at the centers of galaxies. The x-rays, gamma rays, jets and radio lobes cry out for an electrical model. By simply invoking the electrical force, which is a thousand trillion trillion trillion times stronger than gravity, we can return to the realm of normal objects, normal physics, and common sense electrical engineering. The gravitational black hole model is fictional and worthless.

more on the link:
www.holoscience.com...

like I said modern mainstream science is making huge mistake excluding electric force from equation...

and that is why I think there is a bear in the bush, not rabbit

[edit on 21-12-2008 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Great find. More droplet experiments on the Int.Spc.Stn (ISS):

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by enduser

Can you have magnetism without electricity? im sure they call it electromagnetism for a reason lol
and i dont believe they consider spinning water to be exactly like a blackhole but they can obtain data of the behaviour of water and extrapolate that data, apply new parameters, increase intensity of gravity et al using computer modules. Wont be exact but a best guess until there are other means and more reliable data to go by. Who knows, im no scientist

Well there are such things as natural magnets that do not require an electrical current to produce a magnetic field. Like those little magnets holding up pictures and little plastic things on the refridgerator door for example.

The project is interesting tho. Im not much into fluid dynamics but this looks for good reading.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

I've done some research on the electric universe model and have been fascinated by the idea of blackholes for some years now, i dont know either way to be honest. I did struggle for a while to believe that gravity being the weakest of the known forces, could become the greatest in strength, and the mainstream have been wrong before. So i guess you could say im sitting on the fence for now
its a bit like string theory, would love it to be real.

reply to post by undermind

Those are excellent films, i think ive seen three of them so far, was awestruck when i first saw, somewhere on here i think.

reply to post by RFBurns

yeah i know fridge magnets dont require batteries

A chemical element in which the magnetic fields created by electrons' relative motion align uniformly to create a net magnetic dipole, or unity of direction. Such elements, among them iron, cobalt, and nickel, are also known as magnetic metals.

Although ferromagnetic materials are the only ones strongly enough attracted to a magnet to be commonly considered "magnetic", all other substances respond weakly to a magnetic field, by one of several other types of magnetism.

Paramagnetic materials, such as aluminum and oxygen are weakly attracted to a magnet. Diamagnetic materials, such as carbon and water, which include all substances not having another type of magnetism, are weakly repelled by a magnet. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet=Sourcep/url]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The video mentions the term home parlor trick, my question is:

Is this actually doable at home with cheap materials?

I never thought about messing around with water like that before much less suspending it with a magnetic field just curious if it's cheaply doable just to have fun with.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
hmmmm they may behave like black holes but that doesnt explain much.

Spinning water molecules/ droplets, where have you seen that before?

Come on you see it probably every single day of your life and do not even realize it

Your microwave.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just wondering why they didn't do this in a vacuum rather than levitate the droplets. Simpler, I'd've thought, and presumably a closer simulation of a black hole.

Any thoughts?

top topics

join