It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's you Holiday Spirit?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As the calender speeds to another holiday season, the more people I talk to, the more I cannot understand what everyone is so darn upset about!

"Where is your holiday spirit!" I almost yearn to yell at all the sad, mean and obnoxious people I run into in the mall, stores, on the street, at the gas station.

What is the problem. Why is it that people are so upset about a holiday that is about being happy and thankful?

What's your excuse? Let's get all the negatives out here in this thread so we can smile a little bit and get back to the reason for the holidays.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I see them too Jkd Up. It saddens me that people look that way and I wonder if they know they look that way. It's almost like their zombies with that stare from their eyes say " I Hate You " or " what are you looking at? "

My conclusion is that each year we have a four month free for all for retail spending and people are feeling it in their wallets. I feel that people have lost the true meaning of Christmas. Where's all the " Merry Christmas" or Happy Holidays " I used to hear from perfect strangers? Christmas now days is all about spending, spending, spending when it should be about family and loved ones or even helping another family in need. It should be about the birth of Christ for the religious folks but I see them " mad as hell too ".

Christmas is gone and the new four month taxation holiday season is in. Merry Christmas Jkd Up and I hope your New Year will be the best of all.

For me I'm happy with or without presents and my children understand that it's not all about gifts and they have fun with family and the love we have for each other. Our shopping was done two months ago and our kids get some nice presents. Shopping for six kids is hard if you wait too long so we get it done and enjoy the Christmas holidays without the hassle of the crowded malls and stores.

[edit on 12/18/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Uhm... I left it in my other pants... Or perhaps the dog ate it. Then again, I think the dog ate my pants...

But, hey, this is the time of year to be thankful for what I have rather than worry about what I don't. So, Happy Holidays everyone!

[edit on 18-12-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
My Christmas spirit comes from the excitement and the laughter of my kids.
Every morning when they get up, they mark another "X" on the calendar, and open another "window" on the chocolate Advent calendars I bought for them.
Even more so...
I may have only $30 till next week, but we have a roof over our head, electricity,heat, and hot water, food to eat, our health, and I have a closet full of presents.
Life is good.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I actually absolutely agree with you.

I can totally accuse myself of being a miserable bugger so far these holidays, and for not having any Christmas spirit whatsoever. I am Mrs Grumpy at aged 33.

The main reason for this is having to drive a long way to get my elderly Grandma (eight hours there and eight hours back) just because she, errrr, can be awkward, and won't travel on a bus anymore. Oh, and no matter what we do, she'll moan and argue with us.

I was annoyed by this for a while, but have realised:

a)I'm alive!
b)I have a car (and the money for fuel) to get her!
c)I have fresh water and clean clothes.
d)If I break down on the motorway, I can pay for the AA/RAC to come and get me.
e)When I get back, there's going to be piles of yummy food awaiting me which most people in the world could only dream of.
f)Even if Grandma is miserable, I can sing at her, and escape on the internet, and baffle her with conspiracy theories. I love ATS.
g)Wine is coming down in price, even though so many poor people in the UK are losing their jobs and homes. I have NOTHING to moan about, absolutely NOTHING.
h)I'm not working this Christmas Day. For the first time in ages. That means I can relax. I've never minded working Christmas day, per se, but it will be nice not to do it. Sherry at 10.00 with the neighbours - lovely.

As always, the max for me will be talking to my best mate's kids who view the whole thing with the magic and wonder, as only children can.

Yep - I could go on for the whole alphabet and won't. Thanks, you've made me think OP lol!

PS - sorry for rambling on too much on my first BTS post.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The way how I see it is that a lot of people suffer from self induced stress.

They have this mental image of what is a "perfect" Christmas and they drive themselves crazy trying to achieve it.

"Oh what do you mean that the store is out of such and such pie? oh no, now what am I gonna do?"

"What do you mean that Christmas tree light won't light? The festive lights on the porch railing won't light? What will the neighbors think?"

"I won't be outdone by the Gunderson's display next door. Mine will be bigger and better than theirs!!"

Those are a couple of examples. Sometimes people get so into trying to achieve what they (or society) feels is the "perfect" Christmas that they lose sight of the important things. Such as being together with friends and family. All the ornaments, lights and presents aren't going to do you much good without friends and family.

oh and Starmist?
Don't worry about rambling. In fact it was nice how you pointed out many things that some people forget this time of year. I'm not exactly known for short posts myself. (chuckle)

top topics

join