It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Nearly 2 Trillion Tons of Ice Gone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Between 1.5 trillion and 2 trillion tons of ice in Greenland, Antarctica and Alaska have melted at an accelerating rate since 2003, according to NASA scientists, in the latest signs of what they say is global warming. Using new satellite technology that measures changes in mass in mountain glaciers and ice sheets, NASA geophysicist Scott Luthcke concluded that the losses amounted to enough water to fill the Chesapeake Bay 21 times.

Click Here

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What about all the growing glaciers out there in Norway/Sweden etc..??

Sorry for the short response. No links to articles on glaciers growing at record lengfths, but a list is available in the Breaking News section in one of the recent threads.

EDIT: One thing people need to be aware of is large organizations throwing around seemingly large numbers. 6 Trillion here, 6 Billion there.... put it into context, and you'll see the figures are actually quite small.......

Anyone who has an interest in anything beyond Earth will appreciate just how uncomprehensibly insignificant we really are. We really should start seeing Earth as just a small rock that one day won't be here regardless of what we try and do.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
"When NASA was confronted with this glaring error, they then attempted to compensate for the lower temperatures in Russia by claiming they had discovered a new “hotspot” in the Arctic, despite satellite imagery clearly showing that Arctic sea ice had massively expanded its coverage by 30 per cent, an area the size of Germany, since summer 2007."

www.prisonplanet.com...

Who to believe, what we're told or what we've lived long enough to see with out own eyes and live thru'? I'm 65 and I've seen cold spells lasting years and hot spells the same. We're being manipulated and lied to for a reason. The reason is what I'm interested in. I don't believe global warming for a minute.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alikospah

We're being manipulated and lied to for a reason. The reason is what I'm interested in.

You took the words out of my mouth....

Universal Light Being...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
EDIT: One thing people need to be aware of is large organizations throwing around seemingly large numbers. 6 Trillion here, 6 Billion there.... put it into context, and you'll see the figures are actually quite small.......

I will put a trillion tonnes of water into context for you.

1 tonne of water = 1 cubic meter
2 trillion tonnes of water = 2 trillion cubic meters of water
2 trillion / 1,000 = 2 billion cubic kilometres
square root of 2 billion is 44,721(ish)

that works out as a chunk of water 1 meter deep, 44,721km long by 44,721km wide. And remember ice expands, so the volume of ice would be considerably larger.

p.s, I was just doing the numbers given, I don't know about the validity of the article.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The only Global warming I see is these environmentalist along with Al Gore warming their pockets with cash. NASA said it's using new satellite technology and it makes me wonder if the old technology was reading the measurements wrong in the first place.

According to this list there's nothing that doesn't cause global warming.

A Complete List Of Things That Cause Global Warming

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The ice which grew since summer of 2007 (notice that - summer - means over winter) was incredibly thin - this is point, yes the ice returns as it is an annual phenomenon, however it is now thinned than previously -

Further the world glaciers are melting - FACT. Finding one or two new ones or growing ones in no way compensates for the world wide trend -

Climate Change Denialists are the bottom of the intellectual barrel - it is NOT a conspiracy - ok - the only conspiracy regarding this entire issue was FROM THE PETROCHEMICAL companies to spread doubt - they are all now agreeing with the science - FACT.

Back on topic - the head of NASA recently wrote an open letter to Obama pleading with him to understand that his well intentioned ideas about global climate change are no where near sufficient to deal with the problem - further -

The worlds leading scientist have now come to the conclusion that due to the dithering and inaction (thanks to the idiotic denialists) we are past the tipping point and we should now consider reaction actions rather than preventative as it is TOO LATE -

www.independent.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

top topics

join